Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisMRT
Newcomer I

Teacher switching to Cyber Security - how should I proceed?

Dear all,

I have been a teacher for almost 10 years (Very good grades at university and also as a teacher; I'm quite good at explaining stuff). I have always been interested in IT stuff and have specialized in my free time in DLT, SSI, and data privacy (as a hobby so to say).

Since I'm looking for a new challenge I'm considering to move into Cyber Security.

Last week I heard about ISC2 and their CC programm - went through the course preparation on Saturday and Sunday, reviewed the contents partly on Tuesday and Wednesday and passed the exam today *yay* 😄

Now I'm thinking whether this could be something for me - but I cannot code. And I don't have any experience in NIDS, HIDS, pentesting or any of the likes. I'm just a tech enthusiast and have lots of experience in Windows, MacOS, video editing and stuff... Plus my background as a teacher.

Do you see a chance for me to switch over to that field, maybe in training people about the importance of CS/ data security? If so, what would be the next step for me to gain more knowledge and experience?

Thanks a lot in advance!

1 Reply
JoePete
Advocate I

@ChrisMRT wrote:

Do you see a chance for me to switch over to that field, maybe in training people about the importance of CS/ data security? If so, what would be the next step for me to gain more knowledge and experience?

It sounds like you may be looking at a role in security awareness training. There are some dedicated vendors out there you could look at. In my last position, I worked pretty closely with HR professional with instructional design experience. It was a really good collaboration. So sometimes you can find those peripheral jobs.

That said, I would love to pitch to you to stay in teaching. We pump technology into kids before they can walk, but it is hard to find anything below college level that has a real cybersecurity curriculum. Maybe there is an opportunity to forge that path.

If you want to get hands on with security, If you haven't already, I'd get comfortable with Kali Linux and set up a homelab. You can also look at TryHackMe and CTF contests. Get to some conferences and connect with your local security groups/chapters. There are a lot of rabbit holes you can down.

Good luck. You're right, a lot of what we do with security is a form of teaching.