cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nsiavash
Newcomer I

CC Completed, what's next?

Hi,

I have just recently finished the IBM cybersecurity analyst certificate and the CC with isc2. I don't have a technical background, I'm coming mainly from sales and some marketing work experience. Can anyone offer some guidance on what other certificates I should aim for, or what I can do to break into this career? Any pointers or advice is greatly appreciated
2 Replies
emb021
Advocate I

There are similar threads on this topic.  Take a look.

You aren't clear about WHAT you want to do in cybersecurity.  This is important, as this will guide you on what experience, training, certs, etc you will want to obtain.  Do you want to be a SOC analyst, more a security assessor/auditor, pentester, cloud security, etc?  I would recommend figuring that out first.

Understand that most certs require experience (most of ISC2, ISACA's, etc), so as you note you have no experience to leverage obtaining these, you'll have to look elsewhere until you do.

Your only options are CompTIA's certs and a couple of ISACA's.  I would compare CC to CompTIA's Sec+.  Other certs of theirs to look at would be Net+, CySA+, CASP, maybe PenTest+.  There is also the SANS Courses and GIAC certs, but they are expensive at around 8K for 5-6 day courses.

Network with those in infosec.  Look to join local groups, especially local chapters of ISSA, ISC2, ISACA, etc.  Attend local conferences like those put on by local chapters and groups.  BSides conferences.  Don't overlook groups that only exist in your area.  Chat with folks and help get you pointed in the right direction.  They can help and mentor you in your career, maybe point you to opportunities, maybe even your next job (or your job after your next one).

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
Ferguson
Viewer II

Thank you for this