Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deetrain
Newcomer I

BBA-info sys, MBA, CC, BB Six-Sigma process improvement with no experience needs help getting some

I have tried for to get a IT job ever since I first graduated with a undergrad in information systems during the recession in 2006. I've tried everything possible from volunteering to begging to try and get experience so I can get the occupation I desired in IT. No one will touch me unless I had experience. Its not enough to have all these certifications and education if you do not have the experience for the position. I have had the mantra of "be all that you can be" from serving in the military. So, I went to school and got certified thinking I can get the job I wanted because of my educational credentials. I was WRONG! I surprisingly found out that experience is what's needed; not education. I was then faced with the challenge of getting experience. It was weird to me. I could not get a chance to get experience because i had none. I had the education  but that did not get me in the door to get experience. Then my question was, how do you get experience if you have none and the company does not use education as a qualifying factor to let you gain experience?

Fast forward 15 years or so, I have started trying to work on the CISSP hoping to change career fields from the mundane occupation that I been working for the last 15 years with no promotion. But, I found out I cannot have the designation if I passed because I don't have the experience. So, my problem for all these years that i have been unable to over come is experience in the field I love; in which, is computer security.

Does anyone know how I can finally overcome this problem and feel like I matter again? Any one help who is reading this post will be much appreciated. You truly have no idea how much any ones help would mean in solving this 16 + year problem. TY.

3 Replies
tldutton
ISC2 Team

What type of position are you currently in?  

SSR
Newcomer I

Sadly it doesn't get any better if you have the CISSP (associate). I got it a few months ago and no one will touch me either. Maybe I'll just work retail instead. I'll want to bash my head against the wall either way but at least in retail I'll have a job while doing it!
Deetrain
Newcomer I

I am not working currently.