Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgorman
Contributor II

A suggestion for a track for 2020 - SMB / Army of One

Attending the Security Congress this year and last, and meeting several people in the same situation as I, namely, being an army of one, a single security professional in a small or medium sized business, it occurs to me that perhaps it should be a track for 2020, with an active recruitment effort.  Those of us in the space need very practical sessions and to build a community within the ISC2 community, for mutual support.  There is just so broad a space for us to cover, we have a different sense than our enterprise counterparts.  I would love to hear from others with their thoughts and opinions.

4 Replies
Tim_ISC2
ISC2 Team

Thank you for the suggestion. Certainly something that we’ll considered for the Call for Papers and program for 2020.

AppDefects
Community Champion

@mgorman wrote:

Attending the Security Congress this year and last, and meeting several people in the same situation as I, namely, being an army of one, a single security professional in a small or medium sized business, it occurs to me that perhaps it should be a track for 2020, with an active recruitment effort.  Those of us in the space need very practical sessions and to build a community within the ISC2 community, for mutual support.  There is just so broad a space for us to cover, we have a different sense than our enterprise counterparts.  I would love to hear from others with their thoughts and opinions.

This would make a great panel discussion with your peers. 

Tim_ISC2
ISC2 Team

This post comes at a great time as I’ve been working on the Call for Speakers platform in the hopes of turning the system live next week.

We are considering a number of new tracks/submission areas for 2020 Security Congress including one for Security for Small/Medium Sized businesses, “First Stage” a track for new or inexperienced presenters (giving them the opportunity to present at Congress with the understanding that they are new to presenting/speaking) and “Critical Thinking” (the skills and mind-set needed for this).

Meanwhile, below are the areas that we’ll be asking for submissions on (will include those mentioned above), but we’re open to other suggestions. If you have an area that you’d like to see covered at Security Congress, please respond below with your suggestion(s).

Application Security/Software Assurance

Cloud Security

Cryptography

Cutting Edge

Cyber Crime

Governance, Risk & Compliance

Healthcare Security

Human Factors

ICS/Critical Infrastructure

Identity/Authentication/Access Management

Internet of Things (IoT)

Malware

Mobile Security

Professional Development

Privacy

Regulation

Research

Security Automation

Threats

Tools

AppDefects
Community Champion

@Tim_ISC2 wrote:

...If you have an area that you’d like to see covered at Security Congress, please respond below with your suggestion(s).

@Tim_ISC2 I would love to see a Security Engineering track that had presentations on how-to create secure systems, applications, and Cloud deployments by design. By having a dedicated conference track attendees would learn how-to apply security engineering as a discipline to solve common and hard problems. We have a lot of CISSPs that are security architects that would enjoy the track. The sessions would provide attendees with actionable design patterns to take back to their (large/medium/small) organization.