Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Will the EU Will the EU Lose Access to U.S. Data Flows and Software?

Hi All

An interesting article entered by biosphere, which I thought was worth indicating to the community.

"Some EU decision-makers have adopted a radical and unreasonable interpretation of EU data protection law that lacks a limiting principle. The ultimate result may be that EU customers lose access not only to cloud services offered by U.S. providers but also to almost any software from the United States. One can only hope that the EU Court of Justice rejects this interpretation and adopts the more pragmatic view shared by the European Commission and many EU governments."

https://www.lawfareblog.com/will-eu-lose-access-us-data-flows-and-software

Regards

Caute_Cautim

1 Reply
denbesten
Community Champion

If things go completely haywire, I anticipate cloud providers would host in-country because revenue drives decisions.  Although they would grumble at the loss of efficiency, they would simply raise rates to compensate.  Politicians will celebrate their accomplishment at keeping taxable money in-country.    Multi-national companies will end up hating it due to the need for ugliness like multiple email domains (alice@eu.isc2.org, bob@us.isc2.org, charlie@cn.isc2.org).  And, separate systems for HR, Accounting, Design, Manufacturing, Sales, Support etc.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the tin-foil-hatters get this one wrong.