Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AppDefects
Community Champion

WFH. Hey Google! Stop Listening!

Hey Google!

Alexa!

Stop listening! I don't want you to use my work-related conversations.

PSA. If you are one of millions in the situation where you have to WFH and you deal with sensitive information, then unplug your Google Home and Alexa devices! They are effectively listening to your conversations to "improve voice-recognition features". Don't take the risk!

2 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

@AppDefects wrote:

Hey Google!

Alexa!

Stop listening! I don't want you to use my work-related conversations.

PSA. If you are one of millions in the situation where you have to WFH and you deal with sensitive information, then unplug your Google Home and Alexa devices! They are effectively listening to your conversations to "improve voice-recognition features". Don't take the risk!

Thank you, Rachel. Good advice.

I am not familiar with "OK Google" devices, but Amazon's Echo (Alexa) devices have a button to disable the microphone. Mic-Off status is confirmed by the color ring staying bright red.

Remember to deal with your phones, also, which may have Siri, Google, Alexa, and possibly other apps listening all the time for their trigger words.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

Always a good idea to make sure you've ended your Teams, Skype and WebExs sessions too.  It could be embarrassing to be unwittingly broadcasting from your home after you think you've left the call.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS