Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Temu

Hi All

Anyone using this app called "Temu"? 

Looks like you are being spied upon....

https://news.clearancejobs.com/2023/10/22/temu-the-shopping-app-that-spies-on-you-and-your-clearance...

Regards

Caute_Cautim

3 Replies
kschang
Viewer

I seriously doubt people shopping for cheap stuff made in China is going to erode much of "competitive advantage" enjoyed by the US. 

The article also got a lot of things wrong, such as what Temu stands for. Much of the allegations were stated without any evidence. Personally, sounds a bit sus. 

Just checked my own Temu install. It received NO permissions on my Android. In fact, I didn't even give it my credit card number. Yes, I've shopped on there before. I trust it only as far as I can throw it. But to outright stated this is a spying tool against American "cleared contractors"? Sorry, I'm gonna need more evidence than "I used to work mil intel". 

dcontesti
Community Champion

A good reminder that folks need to take precautions when "buying" things on the internet.

The author offers some very sound advice when it comes to anything one does on the internet whether that be TEMU or Amazon or other.

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@dcontestiIt is rather like drawing upon the analogy of Threads, within days 1 million people signed up, who were already Instagram users.    So where is this data going?  Who is using it, and how much revenue are they gaining from it? 

Regards

Caute_Cautim