Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcontesti
Community Champion

New Florida Law prohibits use of DNA data by Insurance companies

Florida has passed a law that prohibits Insurance companies from using DNA data from companies such as 23&Me, Ancestry, etc.  The law was brought about so that Insurance companies could not use the information to increase pricing based on the data.

I think this is a great move.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/florida-becomes-first-state-to-enact-dna-privacy-law-blo...

Regards

d

2 Replies
JKWiniger
Community Champion

I was under the impression that these DNA companies had strict policies to not release the information without approval. So just the act of using them should be safe but if the other companies require people to take the test and give consent to release it would be a different story. Normally this is not the type of thing I hear coming out of Florida, it's normally more Florida Man stuff...

John-

dcontesti
Community Champion

@JKWiniger wrote

>I was under the impression that these DNA companies had strict policies to not release the information >without approval. So just the act of using them should be safe but if the other companies require people to >take the test and give consent to release it would be a different story. Normally this is not the type of thing I >hear coming out of Florida, it's normally more Florida Man stuff...

>John-

John, I agree that I also was under the impression that they were not suppose to share this information but GlaxoSmithKline bought a majority share of 23andMe and say they use the information to help them develop new medicines.    There have been numerous articles written about them "sharing" the data and that most folks do not read the entire contract.  Glad to see this come out and hope that other states/governments follow their lead.

d