Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kinimaru
Viewer

Getting Into Real Estate Drone Photography

Hey guys. I've been interested in getting into drone photography, mainly for real estate agents. I would love it if anyone any advice, tips/tricks etc. Is it okay to directly contact an agent or whole local office and solicit my services ? Tips for that ? Thanks a ton !

5 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

You might have better luck asking this question on a relevant Reddit channel.  This community is focused on IT security issues, not on real-estate photography.

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

There is a privacy angle to this one, related to unwanted intrusion into people's privacy lives, if you capture too much footage, rather similar to the Streisand effect.  Also consider the redaction that's gone on with street view.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
RRoach
Contributor I

Recommend researching:

FAA certification for drone operation

US Code privacy laws in addition to state and municipality.

SBA.gov starting a small business

Contract and business law

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@RRoachHaving been involved in a remote drone privacy issue with a real estate agent and the actual operator.  I think you seriously need to go through the relevant Civil Aviation regulations and legislation.

You should also approach it from a privacy perspective, in terms of obtaining permissions from the land owner/house, and anyone outside the area intended i.e. be careful of using a fisheye lens with high resolution.

Be very aware of what is permitted to be photographed, and what is relevant to a real estate agent, especially on boards and brochures.  From my experience, permission was not obtained, and yes I complained, including researching the relevant Aviation rules, the privacy legislation and even making the real estate agent aware of their responsibilities and those of the operator too.

Tread carefully, it sounds great, but just do so whilst being fully conscious of other legislation such CCTV coverage as well.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

RRoach
Contributor I

I think I covered it in my last post. But yes depending on where you operate (country, county, etc.) various laws will need to be researched to prevent possible litigation as mentioned with privacy issues. Below would be a starter list for operating in the US.

"Recommend researching:

FAA certification for drone operation

US Code privacy laws in addition to state and municipality.

SBA.gov starting a small business

Contract and business law"