Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leroux
Community Champion

Commissioner Věra Jourová on EU - Japan: Facilitating business exchanges by setting the global data

On December 15, EU Commissioner Věra Jourová delivered a speech at  the Keidanren Seminar EU-Japan - Privacy and Data Some excerpts from this speech

...The EU and Japan value data protection as a fundamental right. That is why we have both put in place a comprehensive data protection law with strong principles and obligations for data processing, individual rights and independent oversight at its core...

In the EU, because data protection is a fundamental right, adequacy decisions are subject to strict scrutiny – including from our highest court. This is why I have explained to my Japanese counterparts that we need to address the open issues and build bridges.

I am confident that our discussions, including with this seminar today, will help improve our mutual understanding and provide important feedback for our work on data protection and data flows.

Let me conclude by insisting that what I want to build with Japan goes beyond adequacy.

Together, we can shape the global standards for data protection and show common leadership in this important field, to the benefit of both our citizens and business.

1 Reply
flyingboy
Newcomer III

Commissioner Věra Jourová also did something similar with South Korea a few days later: press statement .