Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcontesti
Community Champion

Canadian Privacy commissioner urges IoT makers to limit collection of personal data

I read this article and was slightly dismayed and amused at the same time.  This is the same privacy commissioner that has not fined CapitolOne for their breach under Canadian Law but is now asking for the IoT manufacturers to limit personal data collection.

Ironic

https://www.itworldcanada.com/article/privacy-commissioner-urges-iot-makers-to-limit-collection-of-p...

Just going to leave this here for comment.

d

3 Replies
tmekelburg1
Community Champion

Capital One was fined $80 million by U.S. regulators. How much more would you like them fined? What's the acceptable amount that Canada should take of the pie? What percentage would it take for companies to realize they need to conduct vulnerability assessments of their systems in the Cloud? I think we can all agree that it's getting kinda ridiculous of how many companies don't take this seriously until this happens. 

With regards to the article, I would like to see an opt out option added or pick which information can be collected and still be able to use the product. Most people still won't read what they are consenting to as with most EULA's.  

dcontesti
Community Champion

So my point is that the Privacy Commissioner has yet to even slap them on the wrist.

Please read:

https://financialpost.com/technology/canadas-privacy-laws-have-no-teeth-what-i-learned-during-an-eig...

A law that has no teeth to it is useless.  Like a car warranty that you cannot claim against.

Unfortunately, most companies do not pay attention unless their is a monetary penalty associated with doing something wrong.

How much should they be fined?  That's a good question that should be spelled out in the law.  

PS: Of the $80 Million levied in the US, Canada gets zip

Have to agree that most folks do not read the EULAs but then again most 13 year olds won't understand them.

d

tmekelburg1
Community Champion

I didn't see anything related to fines or a percentage in the PIPEDA legislation. Just specific fines for interfering with audits. I quickly skimmed it though so there is a good chance I missed it. I did find an article stating there was a $100,000 cap for each occurrence to the fines for noncompliance with PIPEDA. If that's the case then there really isn't any monetary teeth associated with PIPEDA.