Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
isc2ncr-padwal
Newcomer I

Welcoming new members - Introduce yourself to the hub!

Thank you to the new members for joining the NCR group hub. It would be great if you'd like to reply to this message and introduce yourself to the group and by letting us know how you would like to contribute to the NCR group hub.

Thanks,

Kapil Padwal

(ISC)2 NCR Director of Programs

16 Replies
kmdickinson
Newcomer I

Hello NCR,

My name is Keith Dickinson. I've been in security in one form or another for 30+ years now. I work primarily in USG contracting. I hold CISSP and CAP certs and I recently passed the CISSP-ISSEP exam (awaiting my endorsement). I look forward to getting involved with this Chapter.

isc2ncr-padwal
Newcomer I

Wonderful! Thank you for introducing yourself and Welcome to the NCR chapter, Keith! And Congratulations!

Thanks,
Kapil Padwal
(ISC)2 NCR Director of Programs
mencik
Contributor III

Hi, I've been in the Security field since I was a charter member of the DoD Computer Security Center which opened July 5, 1981. I've done pretty much everything in the security field from architecture, to testing, to risk assessment, to who knows what else. Unfortunately most of what I have worked on is classified so I don't get to talk about it much. However, I was the technical lead for the Independent evaluation of Carnivore, the FBI email wiretap tool back in 2000. I'm pretty sure that technical report is still available on the internet. 

Lately, I've been one of the curmudgeons trying to get ISC2 to be more transparent with its members. Hopefully, the new quarterly webinars being given by the officers will be a start to that.

Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like.

Steve Mencik
CISSP, ISSAP, ISSEP

isc2ncr-padwal
Newcomer I

Welcome to the (ISC)2 NCR Hub, Steve! Great background. Looking forward to
hear more from you on the hub. Thanks again!
TDHoward
Viewer

Thanks for starting this Kapil!! I hope we can get more folks online, we have a lot of members in the chapter!

I've been with the chapter since 2017, and in the IT/security space for about 21 years. Retired naval officer turned gov contractor (a well-trodden path!) but my role is a bit different as I am in corp functions, non client facing, as a BISO managing portfolio security risk for defense and intel work. It's been an interesting journey and I'm really enjoying blending business with tech and security frameworks. I just passed the ISSMP concentration this week and am awaiting award, and I plan to start a PhD with Capital Tech University this year or next.

You all might remember me as the guy who presented a chapter topic last year on Congress and the legislative cyber agenda.

Travis D. Howard, CISSP
(ISC)2 Member and volunteer since 2014
National Capital Region Chapter
isc2ncr-padwal
Newcomer I

Great to hear from you, Travis! Congratulations on the new milestone! Looking forward to hearing more from you on the NCR hub!
ShawnJanzen
Viewer III

Hi NCR,
and great to e-meet you Keith, Steve, and Travis!

Unlike the others that posted above, I'm much newer to the security field and brand new to the ISC2 community. I look forward to working on my CISSP in the near future.  My breadcrumb trail here came from work in data analytics and technology policy & governance issues, which lead to doing cybersecurity research.

I'm currently a PhD Candidate at the University of Maryland where I split my time helping develop a sociotechnical cybersecurity presence (such as this speaker series: https://go.umd.edu/stc) and as an ARLIS Graduate Fellow working on insider risk and cognitive security projects. My dissertation focuses on aspects of what, how, & why critical infrastructure cybersecurity managers choose their risk identification & assessment approaches, and the influence of policy on those decisions.

As for working with the NCR group hub, I'm not yet aware of the current opportunities, but welcome a chat on how I could help.  I enjoy service work and some 20 years of experience volunteering with associations, committees, and working with nonprofit boards in a variety of capacities.

Thanks,
Shawn Janzen

feingoldra
Viewer II

Dear Members:

I'm a senior consultant whose experience goes back a long way and covers a lot of ground. I'm happy to mentor, teach, and continue to learn. I'm currently working on a book om building (or rebuilding) an effective enterprise information security organization.

My past history includes CISO of Mellon Financial, Director or Data Security at Fidelity Investments, program leader in the Computer Security Technology Center at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and several federal government consulting assignments through SiloSmashers. I was also co-founder and business manager of a clinic that treats children with special needs.

I believe that collaboration is most powerful and that we learn best and achieve the most when we work with and learn from each other.

Richard Feingold, CISSP

msimon
Viewer III

Hi everyone,

It's a pleasure to be apart of the NCR Chapter. I've been in the security field for just about 8 years now. I've mostly dealt with cryptography and network security. I recently passed my CISSP examination and I'm just awaiting the endorsement. I look forward to learning and collaborating with you all! 

Mario Simon