Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csjohnng
Community Champion

cissp concentration cpe counting

I have obtained CISSP ISSAP in July this year, when I open the member dashboard recently, I find something very interesting.

CISSP concentration align with CISSP, yes, that make sense (you have to be a valid holder cissp in order to claim concentration within cissp).

the concentration need to have 20 additional CPE also within a 3 year cycle - mark on the CPE handbook, that's ok as well.

But when CPE cycle count using the same 3 year period (without any prorate) is a problem.

However, if there is no bug (or mis-calacuation) in dashboard, I believe there is a problem. ( I believe this is a bug in the representation of the member dashboard).

my cissp 3 year cycle end in apr 2021 and if I obtain cissp concentration in early Jan 2021, with this logic/representation I need to complete 20 CPE in 3 month to keep the concentration?

any cissp concentration holder, do you have similar experience/complain?

Screenshot 2019-08-08 at 2.34.49 PM.pngScreenshot 2019-08-08 at 2.34.09 PM.png

John
5 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

I had this very discussion with another member recently, so it would be good to hear an official answer from ISC2.

That member literally only had 1 month left on his CISSP cycle when he was awarded his concentration.

I told him that ISC2 are not an unreasonable bunch and he likely wouldn't need to submit any CPEs let alone all 20, but just to cover himself he should submit 1 month's worth of CPEs pro rata which is 20/36=0.56. (I actually said to do a member magazine quiz so 2 CPEs would be automatically be submitted against his concentration.)

ISC2 encourage us to submit CPEs throughout the cycle, even though there are no longer annual requirements, which is the whole point of the bar graphs on the dashboard, so I think the advice I gave was sound.

However, as I mentioned above, it would be good to understand the official position on this.

@amandavanceISC2  - Hi Amanda - are you able to comment please?

amandavanceISC2

@csjohnng Thank you for your patience. If you receive one of the concentrations within the last 6 months of a three-year cycle, you wouldn't have to submit the CPEs for that concentration until the new three-year cycle begins. I would still submit some if you have the opportunities.

Best Regards,

Amanda 

denbesten
Community Champion

@amandavanceISC2 wrote:

If you receive one of the concentrations within the last 6 months of a three-year cycle, you wouldn't have to submit the CPEs for that concentration until the new three-year cycle begins.

Could this be added to the CPE handbook please?

csjohnng
Community Champion

@amandavanceISC2 

Thanks for your answer.

For my current situation, I am not worry because I still have sufficient time to complete 20 CPE within the current 3 year cycle.

But I would suggest if that could be add in the handbook in the next release/amendment to make more clear.

Also 1 interesting thing I have just found out.

I have just report 1 CPE,  an webinar view as May 2019 and able to applied to my CISSP-ISSAP (obtain in July 2019 but cycle begin in May 2018) group A CPE, so in theory ( or even practically ) I could submit back the CPE  earn from the cycle begins  (which is prior to the date I earn the concentration) to the CISSP concentration,.

John

John
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

This is another interesting point you raise, John!

The concentration cycles are tied to the CISSP cycle, and for my ISSAP and ISSEP the endorsement approval email even stated the cycle start dates as being the same as for my current CISSP cycle.

Based on that, theoretically you could retrospectively apply CPEs to the concentrations which were earned for activities which were undertaken prior to you having even been awarded your concentration(s), and I'm sure the CPE portal would not prevent this.

However, I think the ISC2 Code of Ethics should be considered at this point, and, as such, I won't be applying any CPEs retrospectively.

Additionally, for my ISSMP, which was my most recently earned concentration, the endorsement approval email stated the cycle start date as being the date I was awarded the ISSMP, so theoretically this would remove the possibility to apply CPEs retrospectively. I don't believe there's any difference between the ISSMP and ISSAP or ISSEP in relation to cycle dates, so the change in the email advising the cycle start dates just seems to be based on what I presume is updated guidance.