Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Debs
Newcomer I

can i use youtube vidoes to claim CPE

can i use SANS or RSA vidoes in youtube to claim CPEs?

7 Replies
AppDefects
Community Champion

@Debs wrote:

This would fall into the Self-Study area of the CPE Guidelines. Note the limits on what you can claim. I can't stress enough keeping good records in case you are audited. If you are watching webcasts, conference replays, etc its best if your goal is certification.

Having said that what is really needed is a modernization of the CPE policy to capture how people learn today (e.g. LinkedIn Learning, Safari Online, conferences on demand etc). That is something that the (ISC)2 Board of Directors needs to consider.

Debs
Newcomer I

Thanks..I fully agree..the mode of learning has changed in recent years and hope Isc2 will consider this soon.

I'm really curious to know how can we produce records of youtube videos?

AppDefects
Community Champion

@Debs wrote:

Thanks..I fully agree..the mode of learning has changed in recent years and hope Isc2 will consider this soon.

I'm really curious to know how can we produce records of youtube videos?

I would suggest a screenshot that clearly showed the video title, its source URL, and the date and time it was viewed.

CraginS
Defender I

@Debs wrote:

CPE Questions: Read This First!

(and.. yes!)

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
denbesten
Community Champion

The source of "education" is irrelevant.  Youtube is no better or worse than Brighttalk (for example).  The important part is being able to reasonably apply it to one or more of the domains in your certification(s). 

Audits are not like a police/court interrogation. "Beyond a reasonable doubt" does not come into play.  It is more like store security.  If you can flash a receipt that has the TV on it, you will be good.

If a training venue does not issue certificates, I just send myself an email stating:

To: Me

Date: 2022-05-07 13:36

For the record, I just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IG3zqvUqJY which is suitable for 0.1 CPEs in risk management.

Then if any questions arise, I have a preexisting "something" that demonstrates I did not made it all up after the auditors came knocking.  My goal being to raise it a just a notch above he-said, she-said.

Incidentally, if you find yourself struggling to remember what you watched, know that youtube does keep history (https://www.youtube.com/feed/history) that includes progress and duration.  

AppDefects
Community Champion

@denbesten wrote:

The source of "education" is irrelevant.  Youtube is no better or worse than Brighttalk (for example).  The important part is being able to reasonably apply it to one or more of the domains in your certification(s). 

Audits are not like a police/court interrogation. "Beyond a reasonable doubt" does not come into play.  It is more like store security.  If you can flash a receipt that has the TV on it, you will be good.

If a training venue does not issue certificates, I just send myself an email stating:

To: Me

Date: 2022-05-07 13:36

For the record, I just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IG3zqvUqJY which is suitable for 0.1 CPEs in risk management.

Then if any questions arise, I have a preexisting "something" that demonstrates I did not made it all up after the auditors came knocking.  My goal being to raise it a just a notch above he-said, she-said.

Incidentally, if you find yourself struggling to remember what you watched, know that youtube does keep history (https://www.youtube.com/feed/history) that includes progress and duration.  

This is an interesting idea that could lead to something... but I have to ask if you are the training requester, and the training approver, and training implementor isn't there a conflict of interest Smiley Wink

Debs
Newcomer I

Thanks All