cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidwaynemills
Newcomer II

associate

Hi,

I've taken a CISSP course and am looking at scheduling the exam.  The online tool asks me if I am aiming for an Associate status.  If I answer 'no', and then later on (ISC)2 decides that my experience falls short, may I still become an associate?

Thanks

Wayne

7 Replies
Gunner
Newcomer III

My understanding is yes. Then once you achieve the required experience within 5 years or less, you become a CISSP. 

Best regards,
Rick
CISSP, PMP, ITILv3, LSSGB
davidwaynemills
Newcomer II

ok thanks Gunner.  So to be clear, the following sequence is possible:

* the online exam scheduling tool asks "Are you applying to take the Associate of (ISC)2?"

* I select "No"

* I take the exam and pass

* I submit my work experience

* (ISC)2 decides I do NOT have enough experience

* (ISC)2 grants me "Associate" status even though I selected "No"

Correct?

Thanks

Wayne

Gunner
Newcomer III

Correct!  Do you know of another CISSP that will endorse / review your resume or do you plan on asking ISC(2) to do it?

Best regards,
Rick
CISSP, PMP, ITILv3, LSSGB
davidwaynemills
Newcomer II

yes I have several co-workers (and my manager) who are CISSP's.  I don't anticipate having an issue proving work experience but since the exam scheduler asked this question, I wanted to make sure the "associate" option would still be on the table in case I'm wrong.

Thanks,

Wayne

amandavanceISC2

Dear Wayne,

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in obtaining the CISSP! When registering for an exam, all candidates have the option to pre-select the Associate of (ISC)² status. This will automatically make you an Associate of (ISC)² upon passing the exam. This is not your last chance to become an Associate of (ISC)².

* After passing the CISSP exam, candidates have 9 months (from the exam date) to submit their endorsement application. If you feel you do not have the required experience, you may request to become an Associate of (ISC)² within the 9-month window.

*If you submit your endorsement application and our endorsement team confirms you do not meet the experience requirements, they will suggest you submit for the Associate of (ISC)² status so that you can make up the difference and resubmit the endorsement for full certification.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best, 

Amanda Vance

avance@isc2.org

DGat
Viewer II

What about the inverse; if I applied to be an associate to be safe and have experience do I become a CISSP with endorsement?
amandavanceISC2

@DGat Yes, that is correct. If you apply to be an Associate of (ISC)² and find you have the experience, you may submit your endorsement at any point during your Associate of (ISC)² cycles. Keep in mind that the Associate cycles are one year, so if you hold it for the majority of the year, you would want to make sure you are keeping it current with AMFs and CPEs. If the status terminates and your endorsement is not approved, you will need to retake the exam.

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance