Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjonah
Newcomer I

Unstructured Supplementary Service Data Application Authentication

In Africa financial inclusion is the big thing and a lot of mobile application are being developed to cater for the unbanked in remote areas. Most of these users do not have android phones with biometric capabilities and end up using USSD apps for financial transactions whether from the MNOs, banks or fintechs. The danger is USSD is susceptible to a number of attacks. Apart from the user's PIN, how else can USSD apps be authenticated?
3 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

@bjonah What is USSD? Please provide the full name for that acronym so we have more context for your question. 

Thanks!

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
bjonah
Newcomer I

Unstructured Supplementary Service Data, sometimes referred to as "Quick Codes" or "Feature codes", is a communications protocol used by GSM cellular telephones to communicate with the mobile network operator's computers.
CraginS
Defender I

@bjonah wrote:
Unstructured Supplementary Service Data, sometimes referred to as "Quick Codes" or "Feature codes", is a communications protocol used by GSM cellular telephones to communicate with the mobile network operator's computers.

Perfect!. Thank you. I have never delved into GSM details. In fact I don't even carry a GSM phone; Verizon (my carrier) is the big CDMA / non-GSM holdout in the USA. Your quick explanation helps tremendously, especially in further educating me.

Best regards,

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts