cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
R85
Newcomer I

Question on SSCP Qualifications

Hey All!

So, just wanted to introduce myself as well as ask a quick question I have been mulling over in my head for a little bit. My name is Ryan and I am a career phone monkey IT Helpdesk Technician and am finally deciding to take the leap and make a career change. Most of what I have learned is self taught, but to help with the transition I am taking a multipronged approach (Self Learning via Study Guides/Practice Tests/Cybrary.it video courses. I am also going back to school to obtain my Associates Degree as well for the HR Gatekeepers)

I am looking into hitting the SSCP and eventually the CISSP. I know I don't have the experience for the CISSP and would have to go the Associates route with that. The SSCP requiring a years worth of experience, I am curious as to what all could count towards that requirement and if any of my work in my previous job might fulfill that requirement.

Most of what I did at my previous job was a mixed bag Tier 1/Tier 2 Helpdesk support, a lot of resetting passwords, setting up utility mail accounts in Active Directory, helping people setup their 2 Fac authentication and other various network, software and hardware troubleshooting. I have looked over the various domains for the SSCP and I am just not certain and was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I know that you can't really say without knowing my resume, so I have posted a link to my linked in page below. Would appreciate any info that could be tossed my way and look forward to joining the ranks of everyone here one way or another!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryan-polzen

5 Replies
clarkmtc
Newcomer I

Couldn't resistCouldn't resist

Michael T. Clark
R85
Newcomer I

Remembering back on the days I spent on the phone, that monkey is way to happy and has way to little booze around him for the job.

clarkmtc
Newcomer I

Well, now, you have 2 things going for you right off the bat.  Your a Phoenix and your from California.  Lets see....

Michael T. Clark
R85
Newcomer I

@clarkmtc wrote:

Well, now, you have 2 things going for you right off the bat.  Your a Phoenix and your from California.  Lets see....

Yup, live in the TRUE Northern California (Sacramento barely counts, that's more Central IMO) and decided to go to University of Phoenix mainly for the online option, but really am enjoying the courses so far. Should be graduating with my Associates around April 2019 at this point since some courses I had taken at the local community college transferred over. So kinda nice to be 11 credits into my 60 for the degree.

Probably going to continue on and get my Bachelors as well, but taking it one step at a time right now to keep from getting to overwhelmed with loans and debt.

Kaity
Community Manager

Hi Ryan!

(ISC)² is unable to confirm that your work experience qualfiies before taking the exam, unfortunately. However, the SSCP work requirements are for one (cumulative) year of experience in one or more of the seven domains. I can tell you've reviewed them, but posting here in case others are curious - 

1. Access Controls
  2. Security Operations and Administration
  3. Risk Identification, Monitoring and Analysis
  4. Incident Response and Recovery
  5. Cryptography
  6. Network and Communications Security
  7. Systems and Application Security

If you do pass the exam, but lack the work experience, as an Associate, you will have two years to meet the experience requirement, and then can become a fully certified member. I hope this helps!