Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cdc
Newcomer III

Provide metrics on member help desk case activity

@david-shearer,

Recommend providing metrics on the help desk to all members:

# of open support cases

# of closed support cases by a time interval (monthly, weekly)

average time to respond the first time to a support case

average time to resolve a support case

Other ideas?

30 Replies
Shannon
Community Champion

@cdc wrote:

@david-shearer,

I wanted to suggest this in another thread, but felt that (ISC)2 might not be inclined to share the results, since it could stir up discontent if the metrics aren't too good.

Other ideas?

Following a support case customers are usually asked to provide feedback --- but that may not happen if they've not been able to reach support, and the system doesn't record communication attempts.

A member survey could fill that gaps, with questions like: -

1. How did you attempt to contact member support?
  2. Did you get a response? (If yes, how many times did you have to contact them for this?)
  3. Was support able to resolve your issue? (If yes, then how long did this take?)

This is something else I wanted to suggest, and I almost started preparing a survey from my side --- via Survey Monkey --- but then I began to think I was taking it too far... Man Wink

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz
dcontesti
Community Champion

@cdc wrote:

@david-shearer,

# of open support cases

# of closed support cases by a time interval (monthly, weekly)

average time to respond the first time to a support case

average time to resolve a support case

Other ideas?

So while this may be a good idea, I would have thought this would be something  more beneficial to the Board as part of their governance of the organization.  Yes I know the Board is strategic however, the Board is responsible for it's one employee (David Shearer) and ensuring that he is managing the organization.  They are also responsible for reviewing and approving his salary and his bonuses (990s can be found on Guidestar.Org (although 2018 is not posted)).

I am not sure what the membership or the community would do with the metrics even if we got them.  First we have no benchmark (unless management has historical data....which they should, to show month over month improvement) to go by.  Second, we elect the Board to look after our interests, however until recently I have not seen many of them here to see or hear the complaints or as it were, the frustration with the service. And third, we have no power except to simply drop our certifications or elect a Board that will do something.

We have seen that the board approved $10 Million for the PDI training (while worthwhile), how much have they spent on improving member services?).  Member Services have a wonderful bunch of folks working as we see from their maintenance of this community (Beth P, Kaity E., Samantha O., Caridad, Amanda V., etc) and I believe they have the same dedication to the phone lines and emails that come into the organization, however are they staffed correctly? or do they have the tools?  or so many questions?

The organization just updated their electronic systems, I think they called it DETE.  So the question is will that help the organization with some of the problems we are seeing?  Time will tell.

I also think that instead of hitting on @David_shearer, we should be addressing these notes to the Board (@jjx and @gthompson (the current chair and co-chair of the board)).or maybe all three.    Letting the board know that the membership is dissatisfied might help....well maybe, rmember the Board are our voice.  Also in the next little while, we should be seeing the Bios and platforms for the candidates on the 2020 Board Slate and if they hold true to last year, we may see some of them on the Community.  If tso, we could ask them questions on these issues (yup I know this is a tactical issue and the Board is strategic however once again, the Board manages their one employee).

As to the survey, surveys are great for the organization and would help them understand what they are doing well and not doing well.  Hopefully they will take that under advisement.

So my nickel Canadian on a Wednesday morning.

d

cdc
Newcomer III

@david-shearer is ultimately responsible for member satisfaction within the ISC2 community.  I am frustrated at the level of communication from him and the apparent disregard for member concerns. ISC2 should be setting the example for members for how it is done on all fronts, not just security.  Given the issues experienced to date, one can only wonder if the level of information security of our personal data has suffered during this time.

I spoke with the Chair person one the Board of Directors and my understanding of our conversation is that the CEO is not their employee nor do they have influence or power on running the organization day to day.  They can share concerns but priorities are his discretion. Her understanding was that the problems experienced by members was greatly reduced.

If concerns are to be shared with the Board, a convenient method communicate with them is needed, one that is not filtered by bureaucratic process. I received pushback from my attempts to learn how to contact them.

In general, more communication with members and visibility into the status of ongoing projects like upgrades to systems is needed.  Metrics on support workload and efficiency could alleviate some concerns that requests are being ignored.  If average time to respond is a month, then one could check back if no response has been given by that timeframe.  At the present time, the status is unknowable and frustration communicated in this forum is rising.

As stated, we can only vote for other candidates or drop the certification.

@gthompson

SamanthaO_isc2
ISC2 Former Staff

Hello everyone, 

Thank you all for your input and thoughts around this topic. Our CEO just posted a statement that helps to address these concerns. Please take a look here

Best, 

Samantha O'Connor
(ISC)² Online Community Manager
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@dcontesti wrote:

The organization just updated their electronic systems, I think they called it DETE.  So the question is will that help the organization with some of the problems we are seeing?  Time will tell.

Digital End To End (DETE) Transformation

The poor implementation of this programme was the cause of the problems!

SamanthaO_isc2
ISC2 Former Staff

Hello @cdc

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. I want to look further into the issues that you are facing. Can you please message me with your concerns and I will look into these for you. You can reach me via Private message here in the Community or at community@isc2.org.

Thanks, 

Samantha O'Connor
(ISC)² Online Community Manager
dcontesti
Community Champion

@cdc wrote:

I spoke with the Chair person one the Board of Directors and my understanding of our conversation is that the CEO is not their employee nor do they have influence or power on running the organization day to day.  They can share concerns but priorities are his discretion. Her understanding was that the problems experienced by members was greatly reduced.

So this statement confuses me.  If the CEO does not or is not the board's only employee who does he report to?  and who influences his pay increases/decreases?  

cdc
Newcomer III

I’m confused by the configuration as well. There was mention of verifying compliance with the nonprofit requirements but not oversight of day to day operations. When it comes to member support, she said they face the same issues that we have. The board receives minimal compensation for their time.
GJackson
Community Manager

Hello. I can help clarify. The CEO does report to the Board.

Our bylaws describe the organizational structure and the Board’s oversight of the organization. Within the bylaws you can find the following sections:

II Organizational Structure :

• Executive Director: The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation. The Executive Director shall report to and serve at the pleasure of the Board.

Also under section 5

• The Executive
    Executive Director

The Executive Director or Chief Executive Officer shall run the day-to-day affairs of the Corporation in accordance with policies established by the Board, and report to and be accountable to the Board of Directors.

Both of those reinforce that the board has an oversight and governance function of the organization, including having the CEO report to them.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Graham Jackson

(ISC)² General Counsel