cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cagatay
Viewer

Official Book fifth edition released

Dear all,

You have already announced new version for CISSP in April. In this reason, Have you considered that the exam book, will be changed ,  has currently fourth edition?

As soon as possible please , could you inform us?

Best regards.

Çağatay

27 Replies
fortean
Contributor III

You say that (ISC)2 says that the changes are less than 2 percent.

I have a bit of a struggle believing that - no offense, maybe your source misunderstood you or gave you the wrong idea. Because, if that were true, the delays would not have been so severe, methinks.

If your source is reliable and it already knows that the changes are less than 2 percent, they must have done the analysis. That means that the book has been read in full, a record of what to delete, change and add was made, expert sessions were held and so an outline of the book is there. That is the bulk of the work, probably should take a few months, given that there are sufficient resources available. Editing and adding is a relatively fast process, given that 98 percent of the text is there already - the existing (4th edition). So, if you are right about the 2 percent,  then I fail to see why this takes so long. 

Samantha, can you give us a more detailed explanation of what is going on? I find myself in the situation that I can not give proper advice to candidates that want to self-study for the CISSP exam: should they buy the 4th edition, risking working with a deprecated text hence diminishing their chances of passing the exam - or wait until some unknown date, delaying their studies?

--
Heinrich W. Klöpping, MSc CISSP CCSP CIPP/E CTT+
denbesten
Community Champion

When advising potential candidates, I would focus more on the candidate's personal development and relevant experience.  They are much more important factors than the age of the study guides.

Although newer is better, newest is not critical. The exam focuses on the discipline as a whole, which slowly evolves.  Consequently, the exam and the study materials also slowly evolve. Unless course materials are seriously outdated (e.g. over 5 years old), I would not dwell on their age.

Additionally, the test authors are not allowed to develop test prep materials or teach classes.  The exam is NOT developed from the book and the book is NOT developed from the test.  Therefore I suggest focusing more on reputation than "brand" when selecting study materials.  Conrad and Harris are both great, even without (ISC)² endorsement.  I also recommend multiple authors in one's studies to avoid any inherent author bias. 

There are plenty of reasons other than "effort" that can explain the timing of a book release.  Resource availability, contractual issues and quantity of old stock all come to mind.

PuterGirl
Viewer III

Not sure if it was mentioned but the book is now available for pre-order.  It will be available May 7.

You can pre-order on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Official+%28ISC%292+Guide+to+the+CISSP+CBK+%28%28ISC%292+Press%29+5th+Edi...

fortean
Contributor III

I've seen that too: May 7th, 2019 (Wiley). Samantha, can you confirm?

--
fortean
Contributor III

Sure enough there are plenty of ways to learn what is necessary to pass the CISSP exam. But in this case the candidates already chose to use the CBK. Partially because it is how their mentor - that would be me 🙂 -  did it. Partially because it are all infosec professionals and they would like to have a terse, comprehensible source.

And yes, perhaps the 4th is still usable, but given that a new edition has been announced for over a year now, I would like for them to have the latest - and, one expects: the greatest.

--
SamanthaO_isc2
ISC2 Former Staff

Hello everyone, 

The 5th Edition Official (ISC)² Guide to the CISSP CBK is now available for preorder as mentioned previously in this thread. The release date is set as May 7, 2019.  Depending on your location, shipping preferences, etc., you should be able to receive the book within a reasonable time after it is released.  

Best, 

Samantha O'Connor
(ISC)² Online Community Manager
fortean
Contributor III

Thanks for confirming this, Samantha Man Very Happy

--
fortean
Contributor III

Hi Samantha, others that may be interested,

as it is May 7th tomorrow I decided to order a swat of CBK books. To my utter dismay they are still not available. The e-learning book can be ordered, but the hardcover will not be available until JULY (7th month) according to Wileys's website.

a.png

--