cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cillic
Viewer

New Conference - ISC2 Certification for CPEs for Attendees

Hello ISC2...

I am on the board for a new defensive security conference called Blue Team Con starting this year (June 20-21, 2020) in Chicago.  We already have our speakers/topics selected.  Is there anything we need to do (like fill out a form) to be eligible for our attendees to earn CPEs towards attending our conference? We would like to inform them in advanced if possible.

www.blueteamcon.com

Thank you,

Carl Hertz

Advisory Board,

Blue Team Con

5 Replies
JKWiniger
Community Champion

Hi Carl,

I think this is something you might need to call ISC2 directly for. I don't think it is common enough for people on the forum to know about. I am actually planning on moving to Chicago in a few months and saw Blue Team Con and thought it's about time we have something for blue since everything seems to be focused on Red! Definitely in the plus column for moving to Chicago...

John-

CraginS
Defender I

@cillic wrote:

Hello ISC2...

I am on the board for a new defensive security conference called Blue Team Con starting this year (June 20-21, 2020) in Chicago.  We already have our speakers/topics selected.  Is there anything we need to do (like fill out a form) to be eligible for our attendees to earn CPEs towards attending our conference? We would like to inform them in advanced if possible.

www.blueteamcon.com

Thank you,

Carl Hertz

Advisory Board,

Blue Team Con

Carl,

Great plan on you part to make sure attendees can get proper CPE credit!

You do not need to get any advance approval from (ISC)2 for your conference to count for CPE.  You only need to work with (ISC)2 on CPE for your conference if you want to report attendance back to them and have them automatically credit members' CPE accounts. However, DO NOT do that. The centrally managed CPE system has never worked well. You can find many complaints about it here. Let certified attendees submit their own CPE items.

The automated CPE system will accept any properly submitted conference for Type A credit as long as the conference name and details obviously fit the specified domains. For Type B CPE almost any educational development works. I've been submitting all sorts of open and even internal company conferences for years with no problem. If a particular submission is challenged, the member need only submit a bit of narrative, and maybe an image of an attendance certificate, to get CPE credit. 

If you want to be really helpful for your attendees, and have someone with  a little time on their hands, I recommend you compare the conference content to the CBK domains, and add a statement like the following:

Sessions at this conference will cover topics related to the following (ISC)2 Domains, suitable for Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credit for your certifications:

Domain 1...

Domain 2...

Just do not use the specific certification names.

If you have part of your team holding ISACA or IAPP certifications, you could provide similar summary for them.

Good luck, and have fun at your conference!

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
JKWiniger
Community Champion

@CraginS Thanks for jumping in here! After reading your post I realize I misread the original post and though he was asking about submitting for the attendees, which you also covered!

John-

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@cillic wrote:

Hello ISC2...

www.blueteamcon.com

Thank you,

Carl Hertz

Advisory Board,

Blue Team Con

Dr. Shelton's post contains some excellent advice, but if you really do want to go ahead and be able to submit CPEs on behalf of your attendees, drop @Kaity a message as she recently looked into this for someone else:

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Member-Support/approving-CPE-credits-for-hosting-a-conference/td-p/256...

cillic
Viewer

Perfect, Craig. Thank you very much for this excellent feedback. 🙂