Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZeroFactor
Newcomer I

Minimum annual CPE requirements

Can someone please provide an official response that there are no longer any minimum annual CPE requirements?  The handbook does not specifically mention it other than in a chart that is somewhat conflicting and ambiguous (e.g. 30 CPEs are both required and suggested annually for the CSSLP).  The closest community post I could find is this one that states that the policy will be changing, but not that it has changed.

Again, I'm looking for an official response.  If there's already one out please point me towards it.

Thanks

13 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

@ZeroFactor wrote:

We are interested in documentation.

The official documentation on all things CPE is the CPE handbook, freely available online Here is the relevant quote from page 5:

As a certified (ISC)² member, you are required to earn and submit CPE credits each year of your three-year certification cycle. The total number of CPE credits earned within a three-year cycle must add up to the minimum CPE credits required during a three-year certification cycle. (ISC)² has a suggested annual minimum to help you balance maintaining your certification. 

You might also take a look at page 3 of the 2015 edition for historical context.

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@denbesten wrote:

@ZeroFactor wrote:

We are interested in documentation.

The official documentation on all things CPE is the CPE handbook, freely available online Here is the relevant quote from page 5:

As a certified (ISC)² member, you are required to earn and submit CPE credits each year of your three-year certification cycle. The total number of CPE credits earned within a three-year cycle must add up to the minimum CPE credits required during a three-year certification cycle. (ISC)² has a suggested annual minimum to help you balance maintaining your certification. 

You might also take a look at page 3 of the 2015 edition for historical context.

I think the point @ZeroFactor is making is the wording in the CPE Handbook is contradictory and is therefore ambiguous.

The sentences I've highlighted above in red and blue are an example of this and show two contradictory statements. The sentence in red is just wrong and should be removed or reworded.

Also, as was pointed out earlier in the thread, there is a table in the CPE Handbook where it says "Total Required" when adding up the "Suggested Annual" Group A and / or B CPEs which is causing confusion.

EDIT: although this is not documentation @lmartin clarifies this question in the webinar below - skip to 07:30:

https://www.brighttalk.com/service/player/en-US/theme/default/channel/13279/webcast/351765/play?show...

amandavanceISC2

@AlecTrevelyan Thank you for adding me to the thread. To confirm, we are no longer enforcing the annual CPE requirements; they are now listed as suggested. All members are required to submit the three-year CPE requirements by the end of their three-year certification cycles. Depending on which certification you hold, your requirements will be different. 

Example: CISSP

By the end of the three-year cycle, a CISSP member must have a total of 120 CPEs submitted with at least 90 being Group A (domain related). 

The suggested annual CPEs to obtain are 40, but are not required (40x3=120)

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

ZeroFactor
Newcomer I

Thank you!