Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Badfilemagic
Contributor II

ISSEP CBK on Kindle

Not sure if this is the appropriate contact method, but since there are many staff members here I’m hoping something may come of this. I bought the CBK for ISSEP on the Kindle store about a year ago but am finally registered for the exam and trying to focus on it. The kindle version does not load on my kindle paperwhite though, claiming it is in the incorrect format. Likewise, I can’t open it in the cloud reader, which honestly would be my preference so I could work with it as I make notes in OneNote.

It does open in the iOS kindle app, though. However, reading on my phone (even a 7Plus) is kind of a pita and my kid has commondered my iPad.

So, is there a way the formatting for that book could get fixed so that it actually works on all mediums (like an actual kindle)?

Either way, heads up to anyone who may be looking into that test that the current Kindle version of the CBK is not exactly cross-functional across Kindle readers.
-- wdf//CISSP, CSSLP
5 Replies
Kaity
Community Manager

Hello!

I’ve shared this issue with our education team. Unfortunately, Kindle only supports this book on certain devices and it’s not something we can change. You can view the list of devices that it’s supported on in the Amazon description. This may give you another option to try!

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Can we ask Amazon the why not can change on this?

Is this a physics problem or just software?

denbesten
Community Champion

This too annoys me.

When creating a kindle book, Amazon recommends starting with a word or html document so that the end result is reflowable.  If one instead starts with a PDF, the end result is a "Print Replica" that only supports pan and zoom.  Amazon does put the phrase "Print Replica" on the web page to warn of such books.

The CISSP CBK is only available as a "Print Replica".  This is not a big deal as there is really good reflowable competition with both Harris and Conrad, so I was able to vote with my dollars.  We are not quite so lucky with the concentrations as there is no competition.

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Hmmm, seems like a user story is in order for the next editions:

"As a publisher of eBooks I wish to have them created in a way that is reflowable so that my readers have all the eBook features they expect making learning and reference lookups easier."

Did anyone get any acceptance criteria they'd like to share?

Badfilemagic
Contributor II

I think it might be marked as a "Textbook," which for some reason limits what platforms it can be used on, *BUT* gives you some opportunities on the non-Amazon platforms.  For instance, if I open it in the Kindle App on Windows, I can:

• Read it at all (can't in the cloud reader or Kindle)
  • Select and copy text (with citation information)
  • Make flashcards inside the Kindle App itself
  • etc

So, I guess the tl;dr here is that Kindle App on Windows and Mac is pretty cool and cloud reader is lame. Now I can also read the Doeppner "Operating Systems In Depth" book on something larger than a phone as well.

-- wdf//CISSP, CSSLP