Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeGlassman
Contributor II

ISC2 membership web site remodeling competition

Nope, sorry, this is not an actual thing.

But it should be.

Every change that has been made to the membership web site in the last year and a half, has made things more difficult, less user friendly, and has made many of us scratch our heads and ask... wtf. imo of course.

I spend less time on the site now then I used to, and if it weren't for the community which I enjoy (even if it is seemingly only inhabited by a few people), I wouldn't even connect unless I couldn't find what I wanted elsewhere.

Time that ISC lifts it's head out of the sand and either finally gets it, and fixes things so that the web site of such an esteemed organization mirrors the technological know-how and abilities it is supposed to show, works in a way that ensures the members like using it, find it easy to navigate, can log-in to all the different sub sites (community and learning for example) using the same credentials they logged into the main web site with, and please, oh lord please, someone get rid of the horrendous changes made to the CPE section.

If not, then open up for a competition among members, allowing those that can (for pay of course), design a modern, working, friendly, enjoyable web site experience. I'd be glad part of my new costs went towards that.

It shouldn't be that difficult to do, and the designs which the respondents give, can be voted on by the membership at large, the winner being given a specific time to get things working either by fixing the current site, or building a completely new one from scratch.

Either way, It's about time someone listened to the members and did something about it.

It's shameful to say the least as it stands right now.

Sincerely,

Mike Glassman, CISSP
Iguana man
30 Replies
Scottmage
Newcomer I

Sir, 

While you are correct that Section 508 is specific to U.S. Federal Government Web Sites, you missed the point.

The American's With Disabilities Act of 1973 has been amended to include non-Government web sites.  

I admit that I copied from the site I support.

So, here is the longer version of compliance requirement per the U.S. Congress.

S.3304 as amended by S. 3828

One Hundred Eleventh Congress

of the

United States of America

AT THE SECOND SESSION

Begun and held at the City of Washington on Tuesday,

the fifth day of January, two thousand and ten

TITLE I--COMMUNICATIONS ACCESS SEC. 101. DEFINITIONS.

Section 3 of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 153) is amended--

(1) by adding at the end the following new paragraphs:

`(53) ADVANCED COMMUNICATIONS SERVICES- The term `advanced communications services' means--

`(A) interconnected VoIP service;

`(B) non-interconnected VoIP service;

`(C) electronic messaging service; and

`(D) interoperable video conferencing service.

`(54) CONSUMER GENERATED MEDIA- The term `consumer generated media' means content created and made available by consumers to online websites and services on the Internet, including video, audio, and multimedia content.

`(55) DISABILITY- The term `disability' has the meaning given such term under section 3 of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (42 U.S.C. 12102).

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-303939A1.doc

The act goes on with more legalize...I can bore you more details if you so feel the need?

- Bottom Line, since the site is being redone, it should be Disability Friendly within reasonable accommodation.

If ISC2.org does not make the regular site Disability Friendly, why would someone with disabilities ever want to purchase training on the site?

Why make persons with disabilities feel excluded?

Why does it have to be legislated to do the right thing?  There is an ethical obligation to not exclude any member that is in good standing.  The U.S. Federal Government had to mandate it for Federal Web Sites (Section 508) and then because the public sector did not follow, 11 years later they enacted 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010 (CVAA) 

https://www.fcc.gov/general/twenty-first-century-communications-and-video-accessibility-act-0 

Just in case anyone is interested in their country's regulations https://www.w3.org/WAI/policies/ - has a lot of useful information.