Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeGlassman
Contributor II

ISC2 membership web site remodeling competition

Nope, sorry, this is not an actual thing.

But it should be.

Every change that has been made to the membership web site in the last year and a half, has made things more difficult, less user friendly, and has made many of us scratch our heads and ask... wtf. imo of course.

I spend less time on the site now then I used to, and if it weren't for the community which I enjoy (even if it is seemingly only inhabited by a few people), I wouldn't even connect unless I couldn't find what I wanted elsewhere.

Time that ISC lifts it's head out of the sand and either finally gets it, and fixes things so that the web site of such an esteemed organization mirrors the technological know-how and abilities it is supposed to show, works in a way that ensures the members like using it, find it easy to navigate, can log-in to all the different sub sites (community and learning for example) using the same credentials they logged into the main web site with, and please, oh lord please, someone get rid of the horrendous changes made to the CPE section.

If not, then open up for a competition among members, allowing those that can (for pay of course), design a modern, working, friendly, enjoyable web site experience. I'd be glad part of my new costs went towards that.

It shouldn't be that difficult to do, and the designs which the respondents give, can be voted on by the membership at large, the winner being given a specific time to get things working either by fixing the current site, or building a completely new one from scratch.

Either way, It's about time someone listened to the members and did something about it.

It's shameful to say the least as it stands right now.

Sincerely,

Mike Glassman, CISSP
Iguana man
30 Replies
Frank_Mayer
Contributor I

Valid points.  One key item is for us seniors and those with sight impairments for other reasons is to not have font on the site under ten point.  The notices are an "eye test."  There is definitely good training opportunities on the site but as you note some of the course ware is lacking while other is outstanding.   

Examples of Web Accessibility can be found at:

https://www.w3.org/standards/webdesign/accessibility 

Again, links should be checked so they comply with accessibility standards, links should be checked in the online continuing learning systems and courses to make sure they work,  and the logic in the CPEs and payment  of AMF systems need to be fixed so that they are easily used by considering Human Factors Engineering (HFE) best practices.  The old CPE and payment systems worked great and allowed me to easily manage my CPEs by just following the published guidelines pay ahead two years so that I did not have to bother with worrying about having to catch the system just right to pay AMFs.  Why not have "one button/click" auto pay like nearly all other organizations? 

Additionally, (ISC)2 needs to ditch the much of the auto posting of CPEs since the new system has one superior feature over the old system and that is the ability to post an evidence document.  All courses or tests awarding CPE could be self posted by the member and that document awarded by the course would provide proof of the work completed.  If (ISC)2 powered down the auto submission in cases when it is not being directly posed by an (ISC)2 staff or officer to (ISC)2 Chapter Officers it would help the chapters attract members, reduce labor costs for (ISC)2  and improve and personalize service since the response time would be very fast and the the members would have a person they can contact face to face to make sure they are properly credited.  (ISC)2 has training for chapter officers in this area and could expand it so that the chapter officers that are allowed to post CPE on members behalf would be fully trained and vetted before they could post. 

Respectfully,

Francis (Frank) Mayer, CISSP EMERITUS
AppDefects
Community Champion

@Frank_Mayer wrote:

Valid points. 

Additionally, (ISC)2 needs to ditch the much of the auto posting of CPEs since the new system has one superior feature over the old system and that is the ability to post an evidence document.  All courses or tests awarding CPE could be self posted by the member and that document awarded by the course would provide proof of the work completed.  If (ISC)2 powered down the auto submission in cases when it is not being directly posed by an (ISC)2 staff or officer to (ISC)2 Chapter Officers it would help the chapters attract members, reduce labor costs for (ISC)2  and improve and personalize service since the response time would be very fast and the the members would have a person they can contact face to face to make sure they are properly credited.  (ISC)2 has training for chapter officers in this area and could expand it so that the chapter officers that are allowed to post CPE on members behalf would be fully trained and vetted before they could post. 

I kind of rely upon the auto-posting, especially from other training affiliates because it saves me time. Plus the record is coming from a trusted source and I'm that sure the auditors like that 🙂  I do agree that a member should be in control of that feature if they choose.

AppDefects
Community Champion

@MikeGlassman wrote:

Nope, sorry, this is not an actual thing.

@MikeGlassman I like your ideas 🙂 Now, just get someone to prototype them!

Ps. I'm sure that people have noticed much of the backend is still the same and unless there are some wholesale redesign from top to bottom of the stack will will have the same old issues. I would hope that this becomes a campaign issue but not one where the membership pays millions to fix it. 

rslade
Influencer II

> MikeGlassman (Contributor I) posted a new topic in Member Support on 07-03-2019

> Nope, sorry, this is not an actual thing.

But not a bad idea. I used to say that the ISC2 Website had won the "Least User-Friendly Design and Layout" award for several years running. (Of course, that was back in the day when it actually *worked* ...)

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
Shannon
Community Champion

@MikeGlassman wrote:

Every change that has been made to the membership web site in the last year and a half, has made things more difficult, less user friendly, and has made many of us scratch our heads and ask... wtf. imo of course.

I'll assume they used the Waterfall model & decided to put Deployment before Testing, and drastically shortened the Requirements & Design phases.

WaterFall-Model.png

I spend less time on the site now then I used to, and if it weren't for the community which I enjoy (even if it is seemingly only inhabited by a few people), I wouldn't even connect unless I couldn't find what I wanted elsewhere.

What makes the experience of being in this leaking boat even worse for me is that I don't know how to swim!

If not, then open up for a competition among members, allowing those that can (for pay of course), design a modern, working, friendly, enjoyable web site experience. I'd be glad part of my new costs went towards that.

I doubt they'll do that, but the least we're justified to as AMF-paying members is some explanation of what went so wrong --- until then I'll have to contend with making assumptions.

It's shameful to say the least as it stands right now.

This brings to mind a service provider which had a horrible designed portal --- I was actually tempted to ask them if they had the same site designer as (ISC)2. 

Having to endure this website is probably just one of the 'hidden perks' of being a member...  Man Wink

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz
Shannon
Community Champion

It would seem like one of the perks of being a member is getting a high-end car sporting loads of features that have never really been tested...  Man LOL

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz
Cshah
Newcomer I

Just cleared my CISSP, and endorsement was approved (8 weeks!), Just got the mail, now trying to pay my membership fees- but website keeps on redirecting me to the homepage (one with HK apac conference ad) . I cannot see my digital certificate (that’s redirecting too) ...thought this might be just mobile unfriendly..but have to say for sure after trying on Laptop....it’s user unfriendly website! Walk the talk?

Question: how should I pay ? (+why : would you buy from a website that isn’t working smooth?)
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

I think this is a good suggestion.

Not a huge amount to add here but to look at @AppDefects comment part f the challenge is that the solution chosen to underpin the community, was(in my experience) a support/knowledge management tool. You could for example, previously(not checked to see if you still can) mark something as ‘resolved’, this wasn’t really needed. A lot of badges, maybe too many. Maybe it’s a good design, but for something else? 🤓

So platform wise you are trying to push something over the top of something that has been replaced and it might not fit what you really want to do and users get dislocation of expectation, and to paraphrase David Shearer logistics is important and I feel ISC2 really should find ways To get the logistics right. My first action would be to look the requirements, trace, evaluate and rank and see what still holds good.

This is a quick read but gives a good snapshot of how ISC2 felt as a customer of Lithium back in 2018, and in a transformational project it’s easy to get wrapped up in pushing a message and this cuts your ability/interest to listen: 

https://community.khoros.com/t5/Lithy-Awards-2018/Lithys-2018-ISC-B2C-Community-Innovator/cns-p/4902...

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

@Cshah congratulations! In answer to your last (why)question, I believe it’s to make it more exiting...

@Cshah wrote:
Just cleared my CISSP, and endorsement was approved (8 weeks!), Just got the mail, now trying to pay my membership fees- but website keeps on redirecting me to the homepage (one with HK apac conference ad) . I cannot see my digital certificate (that’s redirecting too) ...thought this might be just mobile unfriendly..but have to say for sure after trying on Laptop....it’s user unfriendly website! Walk the talk?

Question: how should I pay ? (+why : would you buy from a website that isn’t working smooth?)