Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrickyDicky
Contributor II

(ISC)2 Board of Directors election

So according to the timeline at https://www.isc2.org/About/Board-of-Directors/Board-Elections the current Board's list of preferred candidates in this years election (the 2019 Slate) should have been announced on 14th June. I don't see anything on the news or the blog pages on the website, and I haven't received any email notification yet. 

Does anyone have insight into when the Slate will be announced?

It would seem that the election won't be held on time either (12th Sept) as the bylaws state that there must be 90 days between the announcement of the Slate and the election

129 Replies
AppDefects
Community Champion

@wimremes wrote:

Maybe it is time to take a step back and look at why you really want to be a board member (again) and what the benefit is for the membership because I, for one, am pretty sure that once their votes are behind your name, you will ignore them just as much as you did before.    

The truth always comes out doesn't it? Is the real reason an urge for control because it was lost? Who's membership and organization is it? Who created it? Maybe it is time to enjoy life.

TrickyDicky
Contributor II

@AppDefects It's easy to jump to conclusions when you only see one side of the story. When I started this thread, I sincerely hoped that it wouldn't sink to argumenta ad hominum (but it has). 

Diana will be able to balance all of Wim's points with a different lens. I'd wait to hear her side first.

wimremes
Contributor III

@TrickyDicky wrote:

@AppDefects It's easy to jump to conclusions when you only see one side of the story. When I started this thread, I sincerely hoped that it wouldn't sink to argumenta ad hominum (but it has). 

Diana will be able to balance all of Wim's points with a different lens. I'd wait to hear her side first.

facts aren't ad hominem, Richard.

Sic semper tyrannis.
AppDefects
Community Champion

@TrickyDicky what I find odd is the mis-remembering of the length and dates of service to the organization and not declaring past petitions. They should read like facts on a resume.

TrickyDicky
Contributor II

@wimremes wrote: facts aren't ad hominem

When you call someone a liar Wim, it's best to be able to back it up 

> I do not feel that your current "platform" is truthful, based on my most recent experience with the ISC2 board, and my experience with you.

dcontesti
Community Champion

@AppDefects wrote:

@TrickyDicky what I find odd is the mis-remembering of the length and dates of service to the organization and declaring past petitions. They should read like facts on a resume.

To answer you next question on dates:

I was elected to serve on the 2013 board in 2012 (when I was NOT on the board).  From the (ISC)2 website:

We are pleased to announce the results of the 2012 (ISC)2 Board of Directors Election. Please join us in welcoming the following members you elected to the (ISC)² Board of Directors beginning 1 January 2013: 

Diana-Lynn Contesti, CISSP-ISSMP, CSSLP, SSCP 

Dave Lewis, CISSP

Dr. Corey Schou, CSSLP

Hiroshi Yasuda, CISSP

I had been on the board from 2006 to 2011 and rolled off due to term limits that were in place at the time,. after the one year off the board, I did make an attempt to come back to the board (yes via the petition process).

At the end of 2015, I rolled off the board  as we changed by-laws such that no one should/could serve for more than six years in a ten year period. 

Hope this helps.

Diana

PS: the chair in 2012 (Freddy Tan), did invite me to attend a meeting of the board as an adviser to him but I had no voice at the table and was there simply for his purposes (not as a board member) as I had be the Chair of the Board in 2010 and 2011.

dcontesti
Community Champion

@AppDefects wrote:

@wimremes wrote:

Maybe it is time to take a step back and look at why you really want to be a board member (again) and what the benefit is for the membership because I, for one, am pretty sure that once their votes are behind your name, you will ignore them just as much as you did before.    

The truth always comes out doesn't it? Is the real reason an urge for control because it was lost? Who's membership and organization is it? Who created it? Maybe it is time to enjoy lif

So why do I want to be a board member?  Hmmm why does anyone want to be a board member as you already eluded.....there is the lost time from family and friends, the lost revenue as an independent contractor, there is the "getting used" to other people and their idiosyncrasies, there are a whole list of things of why not.

So to the why, as a regular member, I feel the pain daily that everyone else feels (the sites that don't work, the lack of or missing communications, the missing understanding of the value I get for my dollar, etc. 

The membership belongs to the membership.  The organization was put together by some very thoughtful people who belonged to six different organizations (US Postal Service, ISSA, etc.) to try to provide Security folk with certification.

I believe in the organization, I believe that with Management and the Board, we have only begun to scratch the surface of what can or will be done.  I believe I have the energy to work with both management and the board to make these things happen.

All in all this is becoming a true No. American election debate.

wimremes
Contributor III

@TrickyDicky wrote:

@wimremes wrote: facts aren't ad hominem

When you call someone a liar Wim, it's best to be able to back it up 

> I do not feel that your current "platform" is truthful, based on my most recent experience with the ISC2 board, and my experience with you.

yeah, 

not an issue at all, Richard.

• Open communications between the board and members​
    As I previously stated, Diana-Lynn was the primary enforcer of the "The Board Speaks With One Voice" policy, effectively silencing individuals on the board. You've referenced this policy yourself in your reply to JJs post so it is very clear that transparency and engagement with the membership is not part of the platform.
  • Ensure the Membership are getting real value for their Maintenance Fees (AMFs) through knowledge bases, CPE opportunities (not just thinks like PERKS, continue to develop courses that the membership want and need.
    The org has committed $10M just last year to develop content through the Professional Development Institute. That's not "just thinks like PERKS" (sic). What more are you gonna do to create value?
  • Closely monitor costs 
    The org has a strong history of managing costs extremely well. The ability to commit $10M to developing content for the PDI is a testament to that. You might not realize it, Richard, but I vividly remember a discussion we had about how a NFP should manage their investments. We talked about a photographer that decided to travel the world with their spouse. That conversation has steered my actions as chair and hopefully, through that direction, will continue to improve how the org creates value for its membership. Again the question is, what MORE will Diana-Lynn do?
  • Continue to develop an out reach program to younger folk, ladies and employers (Diversity)
    Ow Yeah! This is actually a program run under the Center for Cyber Safety and Education. A seperate non-profit that ISC2 can not put more money in without running afoul with the IRS. Let's put the membership at risk as extra value? 
  • Work with the Board and Management to ensure that the membership understand their benefits
    No need to work there. David and his team should understand that message. I've personally sent him emails on that. Also, the board doesn't WORK on that. They measure management's performance based on metrics such as Net Promoter Score and the chair sets goals with the CEO to ensure their focus is right. If the board stays on its governance plane, there is no work that can be done.
  • Work with  the Board, Management, Members, Advisory Boards (where they exist) to provide a range of certificates that cover specialized areas of security.  Better differentiation for certificate holders
    Again, not how this works. Certifications and certificates (subtle difference, not the place to explain that difference here at length. Certificates are not subject to ANSI's elaborate accreditation scheme.) are created, maintained, and sunsetted by management. Factually, the only committee involved in that process is the Scheme Committee, which is a management committee (co-chaired by a board member). The management team proposes new certifications/certificates for creation and/or sunsetting to the board which, based on a thorough market analysis (we have to thank Allison Miller for bringing her product management knowledge in and developing this process), approves or refuses the budget tied to the proposal. 

So here we are ... anything I missed?

Sic semper tyrannis.
dcontesti
Community Champion

@wimremes wrote:

@dcontesti can you remind me ... didn't you use your existing relationship with ISC2 staff in 2012 to be sat at the registration desk for ISC2 congress in Philadelphia to seek petition signatures from members at the event?

I wonder how many other petitioners got to benefit from such an exclusive opportunity to altruistically be elected to the board. Not many, I'm guessing ... 

So, here is how it happened.  Ben Gaddy and I did approach people as they were registering for Security Congress to sign out petitions - that part is true.

I did in fact sit at the table that was to be used as the registration desk for a period, HOWEVER,registration was not happening, people were milling around.

Wim, let's be honest, there are always three sides to a story, yours, mine and somewhere in between there is the truth.

I was severely scolded for sitting at that table, and I apologized.  I had however let the Executive Director know that I would be approaching folk as they were entering the Town Hall.

But isn't or wasn't it a good thing that we had good relationships with the staff.  

And as JJ would say, I am going to drop the mic on this one.

jjx
Newcomer II

Diana, you just admitted to very poor professional behavior. Not sure why the mic drop...

I was appalled when I heard about this the first time; I couldn't (didn't?) believe it. I frankly assumed it was exaggerated and not quite like it was described, but you just confirmed it.

Wow.

Jennifer Minella, CISSP,

(ISC)2 Board of Directors 2014-2019

2019 Chairperson

VP of Engineering
Carolina Advanced Digital, Inc.
www.cadinc.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jenniferminella