Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrickyDicky
Contributor II

(ISC)2 Board of Directors election

So according to the timeline at https://www.isc2.org/About/Board-of-Directors/Board-Elections the current Board's list of preferred candidates in this years election (the 2019 Slate) should have been announced on 14th June. I don't see anything on the news or the blog pages on the website, and I haven't received any email notification yet. 

Does anyone have insight into when the Slate will be announced?

It would seem that the election won't be held on time either (12th Sept) as the bylaws state that there must be 90 days between the announcement of the Slate and the election

129 Replies
AppDefects
Community Champion

@TrickyDicky wrote:

Effectively the Board come up with about 25 names (although many of them you'll see are friends and close contacts through other activities). 

Thanks for the link. Any semblance of a patronage appointment really scares the democracy right out of me.

TrickyDicky
Contributor II

To be fair, I don't think that bodies like the Board (or the individual members that are there) set out with that intention. It's just natural to want to spend time with people you like. It's easy (even Google can do it) to trace the link between a number of Board members and their selection choices. TBH, I don't mind a little bit of nepotism - as long as all of those people do their jobs really well.

EDIT: I have to temper all of this debate with a caveat. Being a member of the Board of Directors is a significant commitment that few are prepared to step up to. There's a lot of work that needs to be done during the year on various committees. An active board member (in-person meetings, telecalls, committees, advisory and advocacy activities, representation, mentoring, etc.) can forget about a personal life, and can probably just about manage to hold down a job.   

With a good Board - everybody performing well - you can get a lot achieved.

With a poor board - carrying dead weight - will anyone notice? 

The Catch-22 is that if you're a good enough candidate to pass the criteria for selection with flying colours, you probably don't have the time available to you to be a productive Board member (you're doing other things). 

dcontesti
Community Champion

Apparently there are two different lists being presented to the members ( one via email and the other on the Website). And still John Martin was not on the official list has the date of the election changed?

So who is actually running.

Sent from my iPhone
AppDefects
Community Champion

@TrickyDicky wrote:

The Catch-22 is that if you're a good enough candidate to pass the criteria for selection with flying colours, you probably don't have the time available to you to be a productive Board member (you're doing other things). 

Can you explain what selection criteria is used?

TrickyDicky
Contributor II

EDIT: Released from SPAM

@AppDefects  Best directed at Biljana and Greg who co-chair the Nominations Committee. The criteria can be changed and weighted (positively and negatively) at the behest of the committee. 

The three qualities called out on the webpage allude to:

• Have demonstrated their abilities.
  • Have the desire to provide their time and energies to (ISC)² over an extended period of time.
  • Are likely to be productive board members.

It's likely that some of the criteria will speak to these. Then:

"When assembling the endorsed slate every election year, the Board is looking for a balance of experience and particular personal characteristics."  

The bullets underneath this statement give further guidance to the characteristics being sought. 

Perhaps someone from @isc2 could direct this thread to Greg and Biljana so that they might add their response to your excellent question. 

TrickyDicky
Contributor II

@AppDefects My response to this has been tagged as SPAM. I've referred it to Moderators for untagging
TrickyDicky
Contributor II

@dcontesti 

> So who is actually running.

I still haven't received any email notification. I'm assuming the list on the website

SamanthaO_isc2
ISC2 Former Staff

@AppDefects - Apologies for that, it is an automated system that sometimes catches legitimate posts. I've gone ahead and approved it for you, it should be showing now. 

You can always tag me if you have any questions or need attention to something, too.  I've gone ahead and passed along the question to our team as well about the selection criteria to see if there is anything that we can add. I'll post here when I have more information.

Samantha O'Connor
(ISC)² Online Community Manager
AppDefects
Community Champion

Thank you @SamanthaO_isc2. I'm more curious about the criteria and process than anything, not that I'd like to run but you never know;)

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Seemingly, all you need is the backing of 500 members to be added to the ballot.

Maybe we could look to show the power of the Community and get someone from here added to the ballot, and then elected to the Board!