Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrickyDicky
Contributor II

(ISC)2 Board of Directors election

So according to the timeline at https://www.isc2.org/About/Board-of-Directors/Board-Elections the current Board's list of preferred candidates in this years election (the 2019 Slate) should have been announced on 14th June. I don't see anything on the news or the blog pages on the website, and I haven't received any email notification yet. 

Does anyone have insight into when the Slate will be announced?

It would seem that the election won't be held on time either (12th Sept) as the bylaws state that there must be 90 days between the announcement of the Slate and the election

129 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

I received the following email notification on Friday night (UK time) which is exactly 90 days from the 12th September:

board-of-directors-election-email-2019.png

EDIT: double-check your communication preferences in your profile on the member portal if you didn't receive this.

TrickyDicky
Contributor II

Thanks Alec. I hadn't see that notice before. Even went on to my profile to check that the email I'd registered at was still correct. Was kinda expecting to see something like that, but haven't been notified yet. 

I wonder if bylaws require all members to be notified, or only a subsection of the membership. I suspect that the emails are bundled to go out in tranches (from connect@isc2.org) and the full membership have yet to be notified. 

MikeGlassman
Contributor II

I too have not received anything yet.

Will wait and see.

I'm very interested in seeing who is listed this year, as I am looking to see if there is any fresh blood.

Sincerely,

Mike Glassman, CISSP
Iguana man
TrickyDicky
Contributor II

Mike, if you look at Alec's post below you'll see the names.  Lots of familiar names there (Zachary and Arthur seeking re-election, David seeking to come back on the board from previous tenure, Aloysius who was also on the slate last year, Yiannis who co-chaired the EMEA advisory council (when there was one)) and some new ones.  I'll be interested in seeing what each of them see themselves bringing to the board in terms of their vision and strategy. 

Edit: It's worth remembering that there have been two appointments this year by the current board (one of them being the excellent Dr Charest, who I was disappointed didn't get reelected last year). If five of the board's Slate nominees are elected in the September elections, then the sitting Board will have seven of it's chosen individuals elected or appointed in the space of the year. That's more than HALF of the board! (IMHO, too much influence by one sitting body) 

If there are any members who are eligible, and are willing to put in the work required over a three year period, then I'd encourage them to run as independent candidates in the election, and provide some choice for the membership.  

dcontesti
Community Champion

I live in Canada and did not see anything until 5:59 PM on the 14th which is really after CoB but that is a minor point unless I plan to petition to be on the ballot (now I would only have 29 days to collect signatures and not the 30 they elude to).   I believe the real issue is that there are members that have not or may not ever see the announcement.

Also of note, there are no ladies listed on this ballot.

To add to both Alec and Richard's notes, in order to be put on the ballot as a petitioner, you must follow these steps:

Petition Instructions:

To submit a petition, please follow these steps:

* No later than 5:00 p.m. EDT (10:00 p.m. UTC) on 14 July 2019, submit a written or electronic petition to (ISC)², containing the signatures of no less than 500 members who are in good standing.  Please send hard copy petitions to:

(ISC)²
ATTN: Board Elections
311 Park Place Blvd., Suite 400
Clearwater, FL 33759

Please send electronic petitions to: bodelections@isc2.org.

* Candidates submitting electronic petitions must submit an email that contains (a) original encapsulated emails from supporters using their email address of record and providing their (ISC)² member ID number; and, (b) an Excel spreadsheet listing all such names, each with the corresponding email address of record and (ISC)² member number. No exceptions can be made to this process. 

* All petitions will be verified to ensure that they meet all of the requirements. If yours does not, where possible, we will notify you as soon as possible, giving you the opportunity to resolve the matters that prevented your first submission from being accepted and submit a corrected petition before the submission deadline.

* All successful petitioners will be notified.

* Following the close of the petition process, (ISC)² will post candidate biographies on the member website. 

d

dcontesti
Community Champion

@TrickyDicky wrote:

Edit: It's worth remembering that there have been two appointments this year by the current board (one of them being the excellent Dr Charest, who I was disappointed didn't get reelected last year). If five of the board's Slate nominees are elected in the September elections, then the sitting Board will have seven of it's chosen individuals elected or appointed in the space of the year. That's more than HALF of the board! (IMHO, too much influence by one sitting body) 

I believe in any organization (voting), seven members of a 13 member comes close to representing quorum.

dcontesti
Community Champion

Seems I did not include some very useful information:

NOTE: (ISC)² does not endorse or promote individual petitioners.  It is up to individuals to promote their own petition and encourage other (ISC)² members to "sign" their petition. It remains the responsibility of the members soliciting signatures to gather them pursuant to the instructions above and submit them to (ISC)² accordingly.  However, in an effort to assist those seeking signatures for their petition, (ISC)² will send an email to all global members announcing the name, email address and relevant website of those petitioning, asking that they contact the petitioner directly for more information.  (ISC)² WILL NOT COLLECT PETITION SIGNATURES, but we will send one email to members on behalf of those seeking signatures.  If you desire to solicit signatures for the petition process via the email, please send your name, email address, and website (if applicable) to bodelections@isc2.org no later than 21 June 2019.  Only websites that provide information regarding the petitioner's platform, bio or other election information will be listed.

AppDefects
Community Champion

How does the Board go about endorsing members for election?

TrickyDicky
Contributor II

#AppDefects So, as best I remember it (but no doubt I'll be corrected if I'm wrong), the Board, past members of the Board, Fellows of the organisation, and Board Award recipients can all nominate.

What's supposed to happen is that the Board are supposed to ask various committees, advisory groups (where they exist), etc. for nominations. 

Effectively the Board come up with about 25 names (although many of them you'll see are friends and close contacts through other activities). They then (through the Nominating Committee), assign criteria and weighting to each candidate and score them. Effectively the 6 to 8 highest scoring candidates go on the slate with the approval of the Board as a whole. 

You can see the process and the criteria that are supposed to be applied at Board Election FAQs on https://www.isc2.org/en/About/Board-of-Directors/Board-Elections