Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcontesti
Community Champion

(ISC)2 Board Elections - for those interested

For those interested in the upcoming Board Elections (Sept. 12, 2019), the Bios and Platforms for the candidates has been posted:

https://www.isc2.org/About/Board-of-Directors/Board-Elections

Actually would like to invite them to stop by and join in some chat with the members here.

10 Replies
tparker
Newcomer II

It looks like only candidates that the board recommended are listed. Does this mean none of the folks petitioning to be added to the ballot collected enough signatures to qualify?

dcontesti
Community Champion

I can only speak for myself.  I did not receive the 500 signatures that I would have required to be put on the ballot.

tparker
Newcomer II

I'm sorry to hear that. Thank you for tossing your hat in the ring nonetheless.

Shannon
Community Champion

@dcontesti wrote:

Actually would like to invite them to stop by and join in some chat with the members here.

Yes, that would give us some assurance that they're kept aware of the issues.

@SamanthaO_isc2, could you facilitate this in an existing or dedicated board?

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz
AppDefects
Community Champion

IMHO Zachary and Yiannis are the only trustworthy and talented people worth voting for.

I will not be voting for anyone whose organization disrespects a fundamental human right to privacy, especially in the mobile space. In their words "developing strategies to achieve corporate goals for profitability". 

wimremes
Contributor III

I'll start off with the observation that the washing this year seems pretty thin. That can obviously be because the information shared about/by the candidates is not of the level that allows me (or any member) to make an informed vote. For myself, I have worked with 3 of the candidates and I know 1 candidate personally. That obviously helps in determining who to vote for, but the other candidates - whom I'm not familiar with - deserve an equal chance. I'd rather give a shot to a wildcard that convinces me than give a vote influenced by information asymmetry.

I know there are a lot of problems with member management at the moment. Those are, in my opinion, squarely on the leadership team. They're tactical and while the board should track them as part of the existing performance management efforts, I don't think I want answers from board candidates in that regard.

As such, I have a few questions that I'd love to see answers on. I'm not holding my breath though ...

1/ What do you feel are the challenges for the profession over the next 5 years, how can ISC2 be part of addressing them, and what will your part be?

2/ In a cybersecurity training and certification market that is exploding and flooded with high price/low quality solutions, how can ISC2 ensure that its services and certifications stand out?

3/ Why should the membership trust you with their vote?

4/ I'm disappointed that this years slate is lacking diversity on almost every axis. What are your plans to make ISC2 as an organization more representative of the membership it supports?

5/ What are the three things that you'd want to get done if you were elected?

Sic semper tyrannis.
dcontesti
Community Champion

Sorry folks I am in Russia and have not seen any posts from the Board Candidates. If they have posted can someone send a link?

If they have not, I believe it might be beneficial for them to show they are or could be active in the Community.

d
DavidMelnick
Newcomer II

I would hope to have the opportunity to change your mind here on whether I might be worth voting for... As a note on Privacy. I left my partnership at Deloitte and started a company in 2013 with the sole purpose of addressing striking a better between security and privacy at work. I introduced Web Isolation to provide a private and isolated browsing capability to employees for personal activity at work. I am proud to say millions of employees have a right to privacy now they did not before my company (Company was Weblife, which I sold to Proofpoint in 2017 and I am still at Proofpoint). Hopefully you are open minded. Thanks for the time.
DavidMelnick
Newcomer II

Ok Wim that was an intense set of questions. But here is my pass at answering them. Invite other candidates to offer their point of view.

1/ challenges for the profession over the next 5 years

While we could discuss the evolution of the threat landscape and security vendors tools and techniques to respond, I think the most difficult challenge will be around the evolution of the security role in an organization. We need to support our community as our scope of practice becomes increasingly recognized as strategic risk for companies leading to higher visibility and expectations of the security practitioner’s role. Security professionals have to be groomed to become executives who can combine understanding of the security tools and techniques with the ability to develop, communicate and execute a security strategy.

2/ In a cybersecurity training and certification market that is exploding and flooded with high price/low quality solutions, how can ISC2 ensure that its services and certifications stand out?

On a fundamental level, we need to create more value through the life cycle of our cert so that the CISO recognizes that value as a part of his/her core continuing education program. When we create that value story, the CISO will support their team's efforts to get and stay certified. Additionally, we need creative marketing and PR programs that target CIOs, CISOs and other business executives that directly engage or hire security professionals. Finally, we should continue to work with large hiring organizations, e.g. governments, to include our certs as hiring criteria. 

3/ Why should the membership trust you with their vote?

While you didn’t mention my name Wim, we served together, and I hope you would agree in my time on the Board, I fought for positive change and always tried to do the right thing. My executive level experience with Boards, as well as my experience starting and running security companies also gives me a different field of view around governance and how to drive change. Most importantly, this profession has provided me with so much. Since selling my company (Weblife) to Proofpoint in 2017, my focus has changed to how I can give back to this community that has given me so much.

4/ I'm disappointed that this years slate is lacking diversity on almost every axis. What are your plans to make ISC2 as an organization more representative of the membership it supports?

This is always a tough question, as change is difficult. We live in a time when it appears that isolationism and xenophobia are on the rise. I have been and continue to be a globalist who recognizes the incredible value of different points of views. As an organization we need to cultivate different points of view, different ideas, folks with different backgrounds and different ways of looking at problems as it will make us stronger, more creative, more innovative and just better.

5/ What are the three things that you’d want to get done if you were elected?

• Drive strong governance at the Board level to ensure we work with management to drive an intentional 3- and 5-year strategy, and continue the process of institutionalizing governance practices like transparency
  • Strike a balance in our strategic goals between driving big ideas for the profession and ensuring management has the resources and focus on blocking and tackling issues like basic services for our members
  • Seek to cultivate, mentor and bring into the process our next generation of leaders to drive our community forward