cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kateschafer
Viewer II

How to I get to 100% of Required CPE?

Hi,

I have completed 48 of 45 required CPEs (and they show as "Approved"), and I have paid my annual dues. Yet when I review my status it says I am 85% complete and still owe $65.  Does anyone have any tips? Please don't say to contact support - they do not reply.

Thanks,

Kate

11 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

@kateschafer wrote:

Yet when I review my status it says I am 85% complete and still owe $65.  Does anyone have any tips? Please don't say to contact support - they do not reply.

Kate,

1. if you still need CPE, just watch free online webinars for your domain. Quick and easy, and hundreds of them available, from SANS, FireEye, (ISC)2, Cisco, C-SPAN.org (BookTV.org)etc.

2. As for the $$, look closely at your status. We pay at the end of the year, not the beginning, so the date due is probable 2019.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
DAlexander
Newcomer III

@kateschafer,

I think the 85% you are seeing is calculated based on your completion of the CPEs and payments over the 3-year cycle that our certifications follow.  ISC2 certifications are "valid" for three years even though we have annual CPE requirements and fees.  The old website used to allow you to download a "Certification Status" file that had it all laid out nicely and showed you what you did per year over the 3-year cycle but the new website format is a little less clear in my opinion.

Shannon
Community Champion

@kateschafer, regarding issues with the CPE requirements and AMF, I'd submitted my concerns to Support in June; this is part of the reply I got:

1. When you are looking at your completion rate (%) for your credentials in the CPE portal, this reflects the number of CPEs submitted to renew your CISSP for another three years. (You could disregard the 13CPEs due message now.)
  2. According to our record, you have already paid the required AMF for your current 3-year certification cycle. Only when your certificate is renewed to a new 3-year certification cycle, then you will receive a new AMF invoice for payment.
  3. Please note that we are currently working on correcting the information that’s being surfaced on your member homepage to make it more understandable and less confusing.  We thank you for your patience during this transition period.

1 confirms that the percentage is that of entire 3-year cycle and implies that there's a possibility of inaccurate reports sometimes. 2 implies that you can't pay the AMFs in advance, and if you've already paid them, you have to wait for an invoice from (ISC)2 to make another payment. 3 is supposed to provide some comfort for all of us who are being 'stress-tested' by the new layout.

As @CraginS said, there's a myriad of free sources of CPEs out there; here's a list of these on the main site.

Keep a record of the CPEs you accrue (date, source, number, etc) & periodically compare it to your transcript on the main site --- should you spot discrepancies, take screenshots & contact Support to correct these.

(When it comes to CPEs from sources that aren't automatically updated to your transcript, retain proof of this, should you ever be audited.)

@SamanthaO_isc2, please advise, regarding her issue of no response from Support. Thanks.

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz
CraginS
Defender I

@DAlexander wrote:

@kateschafer,

ISC2 certifications are "valid" for three years even though we have annual CPE requirements and fees.  

Daniel,

The rules changed again last year; we've gone back to the original requirement to obtain all CPE at any time over the three years. There is no longer an annual minimum. This "new" rule is a little obscure in the current (November 2017) version of CPE Handbook, but is there. (ISC)2 staff have acknowledged that the current dashboard on the CPE portal is misleading on this point, but promised that the rule will be more clear in a pending update to the CPE portal. 

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
amandavanceISC2

@kateschafer Thank you for reaching out to us. To confirm, the status bar shows your percentage for the entire 3-year certification cycle. Once you have submitted 60 CPEs with at least 45 being Group A (HCISPP requirements), your status bar will show 100%. The member dashboard is being updated in the coming months. This will soon show your three-year renewal requirements as we are no longer enforcing annual CPEs. I would like to confirm that we did receive an email from you in late October which was responded to. We apologize if you did not receive the reply email. If you would like, I can forward this to you (please just verify your member ID number in a DM to me). Please also feel free to email me directly if you have any questions going forward.

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

avance@isc2.org 

denbesten
Community Champion

@Shannon,

Regarding 2, We can pre-pay for year 1 anywhere during the first year of our three-year cycle; for year 2 anywhere during the first two years; and for year 3 anywhere during the cycle.

That said, since the AMF is not due till the END of the certification-year, It sounds as if you are in the third-year of your cycle and were trying to pay more than 12 months before the bill was due.

Unless you are getting a sizable multi-year discount, there are better ways to invest your money.  And yes, I do understand the weird corporate use-it-or-lose-it finance rules that force us to waste the time-value of company money to ensure bills get paid before the well runs dry.

denbesten
Community Champion

@amandavanceISC2, I would find it helpful if the CPE progress bar also had a mark indicating how far I am into my cycle, such as the picture I attached.  This would give a quick visual indication of how far ahead or behind one is.

NOTE: the "Photos": button still does not work....

Shannon
Community Champion

@denbesten wrote:

That said, since the AMF is not due till the END of the certification-year, It sounds as if you are in the third-year of your cycle and were trying to pay more than 12 months before the bill was due.

Actually, at the time, I was trying to get an idea of the payment options provided following the interface change. I usually attempt the payment about 3 months in advance; apparently that won't be needed in this case...

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz
kateschafer
Viewer II

I think the issue is probably related to bugs in the CME portal. 

My annual CME credits and payment are due 11/25/2018.  I have completed 48 credits since 11/25/2017. I have paid my dues for 2018. But still the portal says I have only fulfilled 85% of my required CMEs.  I've been doing this since 2014 and never had a problem before, so I think it's the new, upgraded portal.

I'll try again to get a response from isc2 support and let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

Kate