cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeGlassman
Contributor II

Head scratch regarding CPE groupings

So...

I remember that when we used to input CPE's prior to the "new" system (which I really do not like), I could choose if what I was inputting was for A or for B.

Now, since when I look at my current transcript, it only shows A credits, and no B credits, I decided I'd look at the CPE handbook in order to try and understand how the division of credits is made.

Lo and behold, on page 9 of the handbook, is a very nice description of what items are valued as A credits, and what as B. But...

"Attending a conference, educational course, seminar or presentation." is also A and also B. But under my transcript, it is only credited as A. 

So then I look again, and it seems that every Group B credit, is also a Group A credit.

How then, if all the credits are automatically given to the A group, can I ever get Group B credits ?

Or do I not really need group B credits at all, since the required Group B credits are also Group A credits and thus get counted for both ? (This is of course not really so, since I still need to make the required amount of B credits as well).

(Head scratch).

Sincerely,

Mike Glassman, CISSP
Iguana man
5 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Hey Mike,

There are no Group B requirements, but of course you can submit up to 30 Group B CPEs to fulfil your total 3-year CISSP cycle requirement.

To manually submit Group B CPEs, you need to select the "Professional Development" option.

However, given there are known issues with some of the Group A CPE options in the portal, and having never manually submitted any Group B CPEs, I don't know if any of those "Professional Development" options contain any potential pitfalls?!

group-b.png

MikeGlassman
Contributor II

Hi Alec,

I was wondering about those.

My main problem is that now, other than the Chapter formation or Management, and Organizations Committee, everything is non-security. I don't recall that in the past Group B was non-security at all.

I could fill in all my B CPE's (30) and then some if I chose to use that.

I really don't like the changes that were made to this.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Mike Glassman, CISSP
Iguana man
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Yeah, the decision tree style entry was supposed to help people decide if the CPE activities were considered as Group A or B as ultimately they are the only classifications, but it's just needlessly complicated and somehow now a lottery whether or not your CPEs will actually be submitted!

The way I always approach whether or not something is Group A or B is: Group A pertains to the domains of your certification(s). While Group B is anything that doesn't fit in the domains but is still worthwhile from a professional development perspective. So, as you alluded to, Group B could still be security related as the domains don't necessarily cover everything that pertains to security.

As I mentioned above, the only true classifications are Group A or B, so I wouldn't get too hung up on what options you select. As long as they actually allow you to submit the CPEs, and they are correctly classified as Group A or B, then that's all that really matters.

SamanthaO_isc2
ISC2 Former Staff

Hello everyone, 

I hope I can help clear up some confusion here. First off let me say that I have passed along this thread to our team so they can see this feedback for any future iterations of the handbook. 

Second, here is an answer to some of the questions in this thread: 

You are required to have 120 Credits for each 3 year certification cycle of the CISSP. We recommend (it is not required) to have 40 credits per year. Of these 40 per year, 30 of them must be Group A. 10 can be Group A or Group B. This means that you could do 40 Group A credits and still meet the necessary requirements. The addition of Group B credits is intended to allow you to use some Professional Development hours/courses towards the maintenance of your certification where they may not directly pertain to one of the domains. 

If you choose to, all 120 credits can then be Group A. The thing to keep in mind here is that you need 120 credits per cycle (3 year period), and that a maximum of 30 of those credits can be Group B. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Samantha O'Connor
(ISC)² Online Community Manager
MikeGlassman
Contributor II

Hi @SamanthaO_isc2 

Thank you for the clarification.

In that case, the document[s] should all be revised accordingly, and then there will be no confusion (at least on my part).

Thumbs up !

Mike

Sincerely,

Mike Glassman, CISSP
Iguana man