Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HIGreg
Newcomer I

Group B: Read Book?

Does reading a book count as Group B CPEs? If so, how do I enter it on the CPE Portal?

I read a book that seems like it would qualify for Professional Development (on improving the hiring/interviewing process as the hiring manager). Elsewhere on the internet, some suggest that it is possible to read a book for Group B CPEs. I'm not sure how to enter it in the CPE Portal.
11 Replies
amandavanceISC2

@HIGreg Great question! You may submit CPEs for reading a security book; however, this would fall under Group A as it has to be domain related. You may claim 5 CPEs per book with a 250-word description under the 'Education' tab. Please note, Group B CPEs are professional development, so learning a new language, taking a PMP course, stuff like that.

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

HIGreg
Newcomer I

Thank you, Amanda. You could consider hiring to be part of "Security Operations" but that may be a stretch. Would that be possible in this case?

Just to be clear: do non-security podcasts and books on specific professional development topics qualify for Group B CPEs.

I ask this general question because there are several posts on Internet forums that suggest the answer is "yes."

And again, does the book I read on interviewing and hiring qualify for "Security Operations" domain for Group A CPEs?
amandavanceISC2

@HIGreg Unfortunately, if the book is on interviewing and hiring would not be domain related, so you would submit the 5 CPEs under Group B. This also goes for any podcasts, webinars, etc... that are professional development. 

Best Regards,
Amanda Vance

HIGreg
Newcomer I

Excellent. We can use appropriate books or podcasts as Group B CPEs.

How do we enter them into the CPE Portal?

amandavanceISC2

@HIGreg When submitting Group B CPEs, you would enter the begin/end date, select 'no' to (ISC)² sponsored event and then click on the third tab that is listed as "Professional Development". 

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

HIGreg
Newcomer I

When selecting "Professional Development", the following categories are then allowed to be chosen. Which one do I select for a book?

- Chapter Formation or Management
- Non-Security Education Courses and Seminars
- Non-Security Government/Private Sector/Charitable Organizations Committees
- Non-Security Industry Conference
- Preparation For Non-security Presentation/Lecture/Training

amandavanceISC2

@HIGreg  Since "book" is not an option, please check any of the categories, I would probably stick with "Education Courses and Seminars" and list it for 5 CPEs (per the CPE Handbook, members can submit 5 CPEs per book).

Best Regards,
Amanda Vance

HIGreg
Newcomer I

Perfect. Thank you!

mna555
Viewer II

Hi @amandavanceISC2

Just clarifying, does learning a new human language count as Group B CPEs? (Just to clarify, a spoken human language, not a computer programming language)