Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbrancy
Viewer II

Failed CISSP 3/9/2018

I failed my CISSP on 3/9/2018. I was quite discouraged because of all the time and money invested in preparing. However, I'm quite determined to get back on the horse and try it again. I used 

Shon Harris "All in One" exam guide and Boson practice questions. The Saturday morning after my test I started googling Failed CISSP 2018, and quickly understood some of where I went wrong. I wanted to get some new up to date material and saw on this site the Official (ISC)2 CISSP guide and practice tests. I want to purchase this material but I understand the test format will change on April 15, 2018. So my question is should I wait until the new material comes out or will the existing still apply? 

2 Replies
Beads
Advocate I

Keep studying, the end product (passing the CISSP) is worthwhile even if it feels like an inordinate amount of effort to get there. Below are some general observations and recommendations concerning testing in general.

- Read everything or at least familiarize yourself with everything in the bibliographies that you can. Even though there is a great deal of information in the books themselves the "biblios" will always be worth exploring. Not to buy or read every resource going but you will see overlap enough from various sources to peak your interest in one or two sources - follow those leads.

- These commercial or after market tests get easier over time with practice. Personally, I have sat for close to 50 in my career and smell distraction questions in my sleep. Look up psychometric and CAT testing and see if there is anything you can learn from these techniques. The field changes frequently enough to warrant doing this once or so a year.

- When studying, learn to apply as many 'when' questions to a problem, theory or idea as possible. In other words use the word 'when' as you ask yourself how to apply this to a question. For example. When would I see symmetric encryption under these circumstances. There are hosts of these types of questions on not only the CISSP but any long form test. 

The rest of it you probably already know so I won't belay the topic with trivial droning.

Feel free to ask the board for more tips and ideas, resources, etc. We've all been there.

- Brent Eads, CISSP-ISSAP, HCISPP... blah, blah.

mbrancy
Viewer II

Thank you for the reply and all your suggestions. I'm not giving up, I'm determined to pass. So I wanted to know if I get the Official (ISC)² CISSP Study Guide and practice that are currently on this website, even though the track is changing on April 15. Do you think I will be okay with this or should I wait for the new material?

https://www.isc2.org/Training/Self-Study-Resources