cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbenet
Newcomer II

Doubts about CPE

Hi everybody.

I have some doubts about CPE submission that I haven't been able to solve with the FAQ or other posts (that doesn't mean it's not there, though). 

OK. I (provisionally) passed CISSP on 14th March. Two days after I submitted my application to my endorser, who took a couple of days to approve it. From that date, it's expected (let's assume there are not any problems) that the end (ISC)2 approval will come around 20th May. Let's assume that date for the rest of the post.

In this case, what is the initial date I have to consider for the submission of CPE? It is 20th of May (i.e., CISSP official certification)? In other words, can I submit ONLY activities done after that date, or can I consider March 14th? (Maybe all this is wrong and I can submit activities from 1st Jan 2019). 

This doubt arises because I studied and passed CISM exam two weeks later, but with that rule I can't consider them as CPE for CISSP. Also, I am currently preparing for CCSP, with the exam scheduled for June 5th. I am currently watching some CCSP training videos that generate CPEs. Should I wait until I get the CISSP official notice of certification to watch the videos, so the date in the diploma is after 20th of May? Also, if I have to count the self-study CPE, should I count only the study hours after the CISSP certification is finally awarded?

The second doubt is about CPEs and blogs. I am co-editor and one of the main authors (there are some others) of a professional Information Security blog. In other words, I am in charge of content review, edition, translation and formatting of the posts, with two other people. And I also publish my own posts as an author.

I assume I can count on the 2 CPE as editor. But, can I count the 10 CPE as author or, as other authors also publishes in the blog, only 5 CPE as blog co-author? And, are those numbers per blog or per post?

Thank you very much and sorry for the long post.

Best regards,

Manuel

4 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

You can only earn CPEs during your 3-year cycle.

Your cycle will typically start the first day of the month after your endorsement is completed.

When you submit CPEs, it's the end date of the CPE activity that counts, so even if you start a CPE activity before you start your cycle, as long as the end date of the activity is after your cycle has started the CPEs can be counted.

I would submit your CCSP training (all videos, books etc.) as a single CPE submission of up to 30 CPEs and as long as the end date is after your cycle has started it will all count.

This is what is stated in the CPE handbook about blogs:

"Professional Blog – 10 CPEs per blog as author, 5 CPEs per blog as co-author, 2 CPEs per blog as editor"

Most of the information above can be found in the handbook - everything other than when your cycle is likely to start:

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/CPE/CPE---Handbook-Digital-V2.ashx

The key thing with CPEs is to use your professional judgement if you can't find a definitive answer in the handbook.

mbenet
Newcomer II

Thank you very much!
denbesten
Community Champion

CPEs must be earned during the certification cycle.  A certification cycle is 3 years long.  Your certification cycle will most likely begin on the first day of the month after your endorsement is complete and will end 36 months later.  Using the dates in your example, your 120 CPEs likely will need to be earned between June 1st 2019 and May 30, 2022. 

CPEs are supposed to be measured in the number of hours one spends "learning".  So, if I were to spend 2 hours researching, developing and writing a blog entry, I would be limited to  claiming 2 hours, and I would probably claim less because I personally only consider the "research" portion worthy of CPEs.  The 10 hours is simply an upper limit on the credit.

Regarding the CISM, The important thing is the dates and the number of hours you spent studying.  Had the studying occurred while your CISSP cycle was active, you would have been able to claim them regardless of if you passed or failed the exam. The test itself earns you zero CPEs because that is not a learning activity.

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@denbesten wrote:

CPEs are supposed to be measured in the number of hours one spends "learning".  So, if I were to spend 2 hours researching, developing and writing a blog entry, I would be limited to  claiming 2 hours, and I would probably claim less because I personally only consider the "research" portion worthy of CPEs.  The 10 hours is simply an upper limit on the credit.

Supposedly, there is the concept that some CPE activities are worth more than others:

Calculating CPE Credits

The CPE categories will provide the number of credits you can earn for each activity. Typically, you will earn one CPE credit per one-hour time spent in an educational activity. You can report CPEs in 0.25, 0.50 and 0.75 increments. However, some activities are worth more credits due to the depth of study or amount of ongoing commitment involved. In general, CPE credits are not earned for normal on-the-job activities.

Whether or not blog posts fit that bill I don't know.