Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CraginS
Defender I

Communicating with Board Members

The About > Board of Directors page on www.isc2.org lists 13 members on the (ISC)2 Board.

I ran two quick searches for each of the 13 last names to find out how to communicate with them.

1. The Community Search function inside community.isc2.org,
    which appears to search only the discussions threads, and not the member profile pages.
  2. Google search for site:community.isc2.org <lastname>
    which only found one member profile page. I assume that Google does not have access to the logged-in-only profiles. If a LinkedIn profile was in the results, I checked that profile.

9/18/19 EDIT

William @denbesten added a third search for BOD Candidate which surface a few more community participants. I've added those to the list below.

Here are my results for all thirteen. Thanks and congratulations to Chair Jennifer Minella @jjx 

and Vice Chair Greg Thompson @gthompson for being two of only four eight (identified as of 9/18) Board members, out of thirteen, who participate in this Community.

Jennifer @jjx and David @david-shearer, PLEASE get word to all Board members that we, the general membership, consider it essential that each of them establish a presence on the Community, and at a minimum monitor the Member Support forum.

Also, note that the (ISC)2 site tells members the following, which is pretty much double-insulation horse hockey, given how few members have local chapters:

• Q: How can (ISC)² members influence change for the organization?
    A: The best way is to share your input with your local chapter. Your chapter can raise your feedback or issue with the respective (ISC)² regional office.
  • The regional offices all report through the chief operating officer (COO). The COO will address the issue, if appropriate. Or, the COO may escalate it to the chief executive officer, if needed.

Jennifer Minella, Chairperson, CISSP (USA)

Community  @jjx 

no obvious e-mail address

Twitter   @jjx

securityuncorked.com  (Blog)

Greg Thompson, Vice Chairperson, CISSP (Canada)

Community @gthompson 

e-mail gthompson@isc2.org

Twitter     @greg_j_thompson

Sai Honig, CISSP, CCSP (New Zealand)

Community @Skhonig 

Tony Cole, CISSP, SSCP (USA)

Community @Tony-Cole 

Arthur R. Friedman, Treasurer, CISSP (USA)

no apparent Community presence

Zachary Tudor, Secretary, CISSP (USA)

Biljana Cerin, CISSP (Croatia)

Dr. Earl Crane, CISSP (USA)

Twitter   @earlcranephd

David Mussington, Ph.D., CISSP (USA) 

Community @Wintermute-1 

Gabriel Bergel, CISSP (Chile) 

Lori Ross O’Neil, CISSP (USA)

Community    @LoriRossONeil    (ended 9/18/19)

Dr. Kevin Charest, CISSP (USA)

Community   @CharestK    (added 9/18/190

SC (Siu Cheong) Leung, CISSP (Hong Kong)

Community @scleung 

=-=-=-=-=-=

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
10 Replies
Wintermute-1
Newcomer II

Hi CraginS:
This is David Mussington - also Wintermute-1 on this community board. While I am not active here, I am here. I also feel that I was accessible through a simple name search to find my account. Nonetheless, to remedy matters - you can always reply directly to this note to voice your concerns.

Thank You for your interest in board matters. I want to ask you to reach out anytime you have an issue that you wish to bring to Board attention.

David Mussington / Wintermute-1

CraginS
Defender I

@Wintermute-1 wrote:
Hi CraginS:
This is David Mussington - also Wintermute-1 on this community board. While I am not active here, I am here. I also feel that I was accessible through a simple name search to find my account. Nonetheless, to remedy matters - you can always reply directly to this note to voice your concerns.

Thank You for your interest in board matters. I want to ask you to reach out anytime you have an issue that you wish to bring to Board attention.

David Mussington / Wintermute-1

David,

Thank you. I will edit the initial post to add your Community identity. Yes, I thought I should be able to find Board members with simple name search, but that did not work. As I said, I used both internal Community search and external Google site: search. Only one Board member profile surfaced, that of Tony Cole.

I truly appreciate that you do monitor the Community.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
denbesten
Community Champion

Try this search.  It returns 9 members/candidates, 4 of whom are MIA on the list and also have at least one post.   Also, since social media handles and supplemental web sites were included for some, they ought to be included for all members and for the major sites.  I did find examples of both with very little effort

I confident board members do have emails, but like the rest of us, they probably chose not to publicly post it due to concerns about being spammed. Collecting and publicly outing emails is probably not the best idea.  

With respect to enticing people to participate here (board, candidate, executive, member, or otherwise), it would help a lot if we were to increase focus on maintaining a welcoming and professional environment.  We have collectively failed a few times.  When approached with a professional attitude, I have seen a examples of board members offering community DM, LinkedIn messages and even in one case offering to call a member.    

Flyslinger2
Community Champion

Based on the numbers not many CISSP's use this forum. Actually, it's pretty sad. Maybe it's the interface? Maybe they aren't into "community"? Who knows.  

If I was a board member I would expect that I would have an email address from the organisation that I represent and that it would be published on the organisation's website.  That would be my expected first line of communications with those that want to reach me.  

If the "community" manager(s) were adequately communicating the usefulness of the tool and the activities taking place on it to upper management would it be necessary to have BOD's both registered with and monitoring the community? Is that the best use of their time?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

emb021
Advocate I

@Flyslinger2 wrote:

Based on the numbers not many CISSP's use this forum. Actually, it's pretty sad. Maybe it's the interface? Maybe they aren't into "community"? Who knows.  

Well, not to get off topic, but this is something I've seen in general with many in the larger "IT community" if not the "infosec community" of folks who don't bother to get involved, attend events, or the like.  Even those who are members of different groups.  That is all anecdotal, and just based on what I see in my area. 

I find it strange that the ISACA chapter here has about 1000 members, but only about 200 or so show up for their annual conference, and when they have a dinner meeting, maybe 30 will show.  At a recent joint SIM-ISACA dinner meeting, the topic of 'capture the flag' events came up, and thought it funny (or sad) that we had one of the largest CTF events in the country a few days prior, and most of the people in the room knew nothing about it.  Even the handful that claimed to go to such events to recruit people.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
CraginS
Defender I

@denbesten wrote:

Try this search.  It returns 9 members/candidates, 4 of whom are MIA on the list and also have at least one post.   ...

William,

Thank you for the added search. I've updated my original post, above, with the Community IDs for those you found by searching for bod candidate.

After the installation of the new board, maybe we can go through this exercise again.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
rslade
Influencer II

@Wintermute-1 wrote:
I am here. I also feel that I was accessible through a simple name search to find my account.

Well, that just proves that, while you are here, you definitely are not active here.  If you were, you would know about the shortcomings of the search function on the "community."  For example, simply typing your name into the search bar doesn't bring up anything by or related to you.  In fact, the first thing that does pop up is @CraginS 's post (above) noting that, yes, he did, in fact, find your account here, but that there is no other obvious way to reach you.

If you know a bit more about the search function, then you know that there is an option to search for users.  Using that option, we are told that:

davidmussiongton.PNG

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
denbesten
Community Champion

@Flyslinger2 wrote:

Based on the numbers not many CISSP's use this forum.

Sadly, true:

• 100% of members-in-good-standing have a login that is community "enabled" (so they can file CPEs).
  • 12% of members have used their login on the community (15143/130k CISSP badges).
  • 3% of members have participated (4.4k/150k first replies or conversation starter badges).
  • avg 0.13 posts per member (20k/150k).
  • avg 1 post per community-member (20k/24k).

an email address from the organisation

Absolutely.  I have a "company email" at another organization for which I am a board member.  Beyond helping keep my mailbox(es) organized, it allows me to set the proper tone-of-authority in communications, which I am careful to use responsibly.

... monitoring the community? ...

We have seen evidence that the staff escalates.  Just as David Shearer (CIO) and Graham Jackson (General Counsel) officially pop-in from time-to-time with a clarification/response, occasional appearances from other execs and board members will help improve confidence that the lines of communication are present and are working.

JoePete
Advocate I

@emb021 wrote:

Well, not to get off topic, but this is something I've seen in general with many in the larger "IT community" if not the "infosec community" of folks who don't bother to get involved, attend events, or the like.  Even those who are members of different groups.  That is all anecdotal, and just based on what I see in my area. 

I think the people who are attracted to this profession have a healthy skepticism of "communities." After all, "following the crowd" is an assured path to something profoundly ignorant. At the same time we seek opportunities to learn from each other and collaborate, but more often than not, we are the ones who get sold out by these "communities." Sure, many might start with a sincere proposition, but  eventually the marketing dollars of the industry win out. The moment we sniff or suspect that, we run.