Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wchen035
Newcomer I

Can CPEs from GIAC courses be used for ISC2?

Hi guys, just would like to enquire if i take a SANS course (e.g. GCIH), will the CPE credits earned for the course be able to be used for our CPEs in ISC2 certification? (e.g. SSCP)

thank you.

17 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

I would class this as "Attending a conference, educational course, seminar or presentation" and therefore a valid Group A CPE activity:

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/CPE/CPE---Handbook-Digital-V2.ashx

emb021
Advocate I

Yes, I've used them.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
wchen035
Newcomer I

thanks for your info. just to confirm that it is not necessary to pass the GIAC certification in order to claim the CPE credits right? just participating in the GIAC course will do in order to get the CPE credits?

amandavanceISC2

@wchen035 Thank you for reaching out. To confirm, as long as the activity is related to the domains of your certification, you may submit the CPEs. For training, you would receive 1 CPE per hour of attendance, up to 40 hours.

Best Regards,
Amanda Vance
emb021
Advocate I

@wchen035 wrote:

thanks for your info. just to confirm that it is not necessary to pass the GIAC certification in order to claim the CPE credits right? just participating in the GIAC course will do in order to get the CPE credits?

Yes.

Once you complete the course, in your SANS Membership Portal you can access all your "Orders" which will list the courses you've signed up for and paid.  From there you can access the CPE certificate for the course, which you can then upload to ISC2 or any other certifying body.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
utkarshsawant
Viewer

I didn't take GIAC course, but gave GPEN exam. Can i get any CPE points from just giving 4 hours exam? 

and if I can use it for ISC2 CPEs ? 

emb021
Advocate I

@utkarshsawant "I didn't take GIAC course, but gave GPEN exam. Can i get any CPE points from just giving 4 hours exam? and if I can use it for ISC2 CPEs ?"

I believe that if you take and pass another certification exam, you can use those for CPEs.  Hours are based on the length of the exam.  Should be covered in the CPE handbook.  I think I claimed CPEs for my SANS courses and again when I took and passed the exams.

---
denbesten
Community Champion

@emb021 wrote:

I believe that if you take and pass another certification exam, you can use those for CPEs.  Hours are based on the length of the exam.  Should be covered in the CPE handbook.  I think I claimed CPEs for my SANS courses and again when I took and passed the exams.

Please find and quote/cite the relevant section of the CPE handbook.  I ask this because your interpretation differs from mine.

CraginS
Defender I

@emb021 wrote:

@utkarshsawant "I didn't take GIAC course, but gave GPEN exam. Can i get any CPE points from just giving 4 hours exam? and if I can use it for ISC2 CPEs ?"

Michael

I think it has been pretty well established that earning a cert or taking a cert exam is not an educational activity, per se, so I agree with William @denbesten and also disagree with your interpretation. However, active study for the cert exam, especially in formal class or with published material, can certainly be documented as CPE.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts