Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rossva
Contributor I

CPE question - study for CISM

hi all - happy new year !

Just trying to get my head around CPEs.

I’ve submitted a couple type As by completing PDI courses.

I see that you can submit up to 10 CPEs as type B, where type B includes self study for other certifications.

Since I passed CISSP I figured I should pass CISM next so I’ve been doing self study for a couple months for that now, easily 10 hours. In reality quite a bit more I’d guess!

So, can I submit 10 type B CPEs for this? And how can I prove it if audited? Should you take and pass the exam first then submit as the proof maybe ?

Happy to be guided! Please let me know!

Appreciate it
6 Replies
Rossva
Contributor I

Edit : never mind. Think I’ve worked it out. Seems you can claim up to 5 CPEs for reading a book. So I’ve submitted that. Makes sense. Thanks for looking anyway !
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Hey @Rossva,

Group A CPEs are earned for activities related to the domains of your certification. Therefore CPEs earned while studying for the CISM would be Group A.

Just to reiterate, one of the examples of Group A CPEs in the CPE Handbook is "Self-study related to research for a project or preparing for a certification examination".

Generally speaking, 1 hour of study is worth 1 CPE, but there is a hard limit for how many CPEs you can claim for studying for a certification which is 40. So feel free to claim CPEs for as many hours as you spend studying up to 40 - this used to be 30 as mentioned in the link below.

In terms of supporting evidence, you can just take a picture of your learning materials and upload that with the CPE submission.

me_shail
Community Champion

Thanks Rossva

I have another question regrading CPE. SO I did my CCSP back in May 2019. Passed my CISSP in Dec 2019(endorsement done and waiting on ISC2). Paid my AMF in August 2019.

Do I need to pay another AMF for CISSP?

Would I get any CPE credits from the CISSP towards my CCSP?

Do I need to manage separate CPEs for CCSP and CISSP or is it just the 90 over 3 years for both?

Regards

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@me_shail wrote:

Thanks Rossva

I have another question regrading CPE. SO I did my CCSP back in May 2019. Passed my CISSP in Dec 2019(endorsement done and waiting on ISC2). Paid my AMF in August 2019.

Do I need to pay another AMF for CISSP? No, you pay $125 per year regardless of how many ISC2 certs you have.

Would I get any CPE credits from the CISSP towards my CCSP? Yes, you can claim up to 40 - see my post above for more details.

Do I need to manage separate CPEs for CCSP and CISSP or is it just the 90 over 3 years for both? You need to complete CPEs for both (the CISSP is 120 over the 3 years btw) but many CPEs can be applied to both certifications at the same time so it's not like you need to earn 90 + 120 - if you pick the right 120 that's all you'll need.

Regards

See my answers in line above in blue.

denbesten
Community Champion

@me_shail :

"Members only pay a single AMF of U.S. $125 regardless of how many certifications they earn." [cite]

"...the CPEs you submit will automatically be counted toward all your active credentials ...
You should select all the relevant domains for your CPE submission when submitting Group A credits..." [cite]

By taking advantage of double-credit, you can potentially complete both requirements with as few as 120 CPEs.  Individually, the certs require 90 (CCSP) and 120( CISSP).  

Rossva
Contributor I

Thanks so much for the guidance Alec