Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sergeling
Contributor I

CPE question about writing

Hi everyone, I have a question about earning CPE through writing/contributing.

I’m participating in an event/competition which participants have to write one article everyday for 30 consecutive days to share their professional knowledge. The articles will remain on the event website as knowledge base after the event conclude. I wrote each articles in Chinese.

1. Will this activity fulfill CPE Under the “Contributions to the profession” category for the articles I write?
2. Do I need to repost the articles on my personal blog for the CPE? Or my entry into the competition will suffice? (The link to the articles can be provided from event website. I just don’t know if it had to be posted in actual blog to make it count?)
3. Would this count as “articles”(20CPE) or “professional blog” (10CPE)?
4. Do I need to gain a place in the event/competition with my entry for the CPE to count? (Since gaining a place means judge validate the content)

The event/competition require at least 300 words each post but I always have close to 1000 words each day. The topic is about Network Security Monitoring, from introduction to some open source/free tools demo.

Thank you
6 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

Is the work being done as part of your employment?  or outside? 

Suggest you check out the CPE guidelines at:

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/CPE/CPE---Handbook-Digital-V2.ashx

Or reach out to Member services for clarification.

Regards

sergeling
Contributor I

Hi,

It's not part of my work. It's an event/competition I participate.

I read the guidebook but it was not too clear on the this part of contribution. So I wonder if other members in the community have similar experience can share. I will reach out to member service.

thanks,

CraginS
Defender I

@sergeling wrote:
Hi everyone, I have a question about earning CPE through writing/contributing.

I’m participating in an event/competition which participants have to write one article everyday for 30 consecutive days to share their professional knowledge. The articles will remain on the event website as knowledge base after the event conclude. I wrote each articles in Chinese.

1. Will this activity fulfill CPE Under the “Contributions to the profession” category for the articles I write?
2. Do I need to repost the articles on my personal blog for the CPE? Or my entry into the competition will suffice? (The link to the articles can be provided from event website. I just don’t know if it had to be posted in actual blog to make it count?)
3. Would this count as “articles”(20CPE) or “professional blog” (10CPE)?
4. Do I need to gain a place in the event/competition with my entry for the CPE to count? (Since gaining a place means judge validate the content)

The event/competition require at least 300 words each post but I always have close to 1000 words each day. The topic is about Network Security Monitoring, from introduction to some open source/free tools demo.

Frank,

My read of the CPE guidelines is that this work definitely counts, especially since you are not doing it as a required part of your job. In such circumstances my practice for years has been to go ahead and submit, include relevant attachments, and see if it gets approved. If they put audit status, send them more artifacts. Most of the time the approval for the CPE's is automatic. 

You asked about placing your articles on your blog. If you already have a blog, then that is an excellent solution. If you do not have a blog for your infosec comments, I recommend you start one. I reactivated mine recently, now that I no longer need employer approval to publish.   

Good luck, and congrats on diving into the competition, that sounds pretty cool.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
amandavanceISC2

@sergeling This sounds like a great competition and you may absolutely submit CPEs for each article you write. Per the CPE Handbook, you can technically submit 20 CPEs per article you write; however, that is based off of 20 hours of prep time for the article. I would suggest submitting as either the co-author (10 CPEs) or editor (5 CPEs) for each article. Base it off of how many hours each day you spend creating each article (I would assume this would be around 5-6 hours daily. You do not have to submit to a blog to obtain the CPEs as CPEs are obtained by learning, not which source they are posted to. 

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate sending me a DM and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

sergeling
Contributor I

Thank you for the clarification. I'm actually curious on the difference between blog post and article. Is it based on the platform it publish? Or based on the authenticity of work/time required to prepare?

amandavanceISC2

@sergeling The main difference is the platform it is published on. If it's on a blog site, it's considered a blog. Anything else would typically be an article but we ask to use your best professional judgement.

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance