cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anmolahuja1992
Viewer II

CPE credits for my associate CISSP

Respected members,

I have a question in my mind. I recently gave google cloud engineer certification. Can i use this cert for my CPE credits?

Thanks,

Anmol

6 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Sure - any time spent studying CISSP domain related elements of the certification could be logged as Group A, while any time spent studying other elements could be logged as Group B. 1 hour of study will equal 1 CPE up to the maximum of 40 CPEs for a single submission.

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/CPE/CPE---Handbook-Digital-V2.ashx

denbesten
Community Champion

Congrats on passing the Google cert! Unfortunately, taking a test DOES NOT count for CPE credit.  CPE means "continuing professional education".... that is  activities that increase the amount or quality of knowledge you have. Taking a test demonstrates knowledge, but in and of itself, does not count as "learning".

Although this seems like a dark cloud, there is a substantial silver lining.   Studying for a cert IS continuing education and one generally spends many more hours studying than sitting for an exam. So, estimate how many hours you spent studying and how many of those hours align with one or more of the CISSP domains. Then submit that number. 

You should enter the CPEs individually per book, webinar, classroom time, etc.  In addition to keeping the record believable and audit-able, it also keeps you from bumping into various limits.

Also, since the CPE is for the studying, it really does not matter if you passed, failed or did not even take the exam.

denbesten
Community Champion

@AlecTrevelyan wrote:

...time spent studying other elements could be logged as Group B...

Just a small detail... Associates are required to earn 15 Group A CPEs per year; their "A-or-B" requirement is zero.

The link Alec included is the authoritative source for CPE facts. Here is its permalink. You should trust it more than you trust Alec or myself. 

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@denbesten wrote:

@AlecTrevelyan wrote:

...time spent studying other elements could be logged as Group B...

Just a small detail... Associates are required to earn 15 Group A CPEs per year; their "A-or-B" requirement is zero.

Yes, good point @denbesten - I had forgotten about that! Smiley Embarassed

anmolahuja1992
Viewer II

Which option do i need to choose from? There are two broad options under Select CPE type A) Member Submitted  If this is the option then which option under this? 

(ISC)² Chapter Management

(ISC)² Chapter Formation

Prepare For Presentation for (ISC)² related event

(ISC)² Professional Development Institute

Or the option where Submitted on behalf?
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion