Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canLG0501
Newcomer III

CPE Credit for Prep and Passing Other Certification Exams

Can you obtain CPE credit for passing CompTIA Security+? If so, which Group (A or B) and how many CPE credits?

18 Replies
amandavanceISC2

@ChetanK83  The CPEs are the same for earning a new certification; you may submit up to 30 CPEs for the time spent preparing to obtain a new certification. 

* Education tab

* 'Online Webinars, Podcasts and other Online Training'

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

vg25
Viewer III

I have recently passed my CCSP exam. I did self study for about 10 weeks, 10 hours/week and passed the exam successfully. I have submitted 30 credit CPE request under 'Education Courses and Seminars' and uploaded the email from ISC2 also. Is this acceptable? 

Please let me know.

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

This is exactly what I did when I passed the CCSP - I also included a picture of the books I used to study.

Amanda recently confirmed that the information about up to 30 CPEs being allowed for studying for a new certification will be added to the CPE Handbook when it's next updated:

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Member-Support/Is-30-CPE-for-certification-exam-self-study-documented-...

I also recently found reference to the 30 CPEs in the CPE FAQ - not sure if this was always there or was recently added?

https://www.isc2.org/Frequently-Asked-Questions#accordion-f4ec6c90bbd24f6fa982de008bbaf361

Q: If I earn another certification, can I get credit for passing the examination?
A: For obtaining a new credential, you may submit up to 30 CPEs under the self-study category for the time you spent preparing to obtain the new certification.

vg25
Viewer III

Excellent, thanks for your reply!
Adonis
Newcomer I

Can we obtain CPE credit for passing like AWS ,Google GCP security exam?eg professional cloud security. aws certifiied security security ...

If so, which Group (A or B) and how many CPE credits

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

All the answers to your questions can be found in the CPE Handbook:

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/CPE/CPE---Handbook-Digital-V2.ashx

In summary:

Group A CPEs pertain to the domains of your certification(s).

Group B CPEs relate to professional development in areas outside of the domains of your certification(s).

A general rule of thumb is 1 hour of CPE activity counts for 1 CPE.

In terms of AWS and GCP certs (or any other certs), it's the act of studying for them that qualifies for CPEs, and not the taking of the associated exams.

You need to look at the curriculum of each cert you studied for and decide how much time you spent covering areas that you can map to the domains of your ISC2 certification. This time would then be added as Group A CPEs. NB - you can add CPEs in increments of 0.25 (i.e. 15 mins worth of activity). Any other time spent studying could be added as Group B CPEs.

Adonis
Newcomer I

thanks so much 

This is sort of related.  I took a CCSP prep course online - instructor led June 10-14.  At the end the instructor said that we had to complete all of the materials provided on D2L and pass all of the quizzes and complete the eval to get credit for the course.  That seems kind of strange.  But the course did highlight some areas where I was week, but also validated that having had a CISSP and working in the field for 20 years, that some of it is common sense in the light of experience.  So I studied some, not 30 hours, but probably 10-15 and provisionally passed the test 5 days later (final pass just came July 31).  Having provisionally passed, I have been working my way through the self-study materials, and have been through 5 of the 6 domains, with the 60 days of access running out soon.  Just wondering if the instructor was right, and that taking a 40 hour class with ISC2 doesn't get you CPEs.  But, if it doesn't and I finish Domain 6 by Saturday, can I count the working my way through the D2L material count for CPEs for my newly minted CCSP?

cybaig
Newcomer I

Hi:

I recently passed the ISC2 CCSP certification exam and wondering if I earned any CPEs for my latest certification. I am already a CISSP and would like to know if I am allowed to apply any CPEs I might have earned for passing CCSP cert.

Regards

Mirza Baig