Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sparty38882
Viewer

CPE - Board Related

Would you be able to clarify this item in the CPE handbook more?

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/CPE/CPE---Handbook.ashx

'Performing board service for a professional security organization. This does not include service on chapter boards.'

As a Board member of my chapter for an organization (ISACA) different than ISC2, would this be able to be credited as CPE time? 

5 Replies
amandavanceISC2

@Sparty38882 Thank you for your post. What that particular item means is if you are serving as a Board of Directors for a security organizations. For example, our Chairperson can submit CPEs for holding that title as the Chairperson of ISC2. 

The item you are looking for is listed under the Education tab and then Professional information security chapter meeting.

Best Regards, 

Amanda Vance

emb021
Advocate I

@Sparty38882 wrote:

Would you be able to clarify this item in the CPE handbook more?

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/CPE/CPE---Handbook.ashx

'Performing board service for a professional security organization. This does not include service on chapter boards.'

As a Board member of my chapter for an organization (ISACA) different than ISC2, would this be able to be credited as CPE time? 

It doesn't matter what org you are part of (ISC2, ISSA, ISACA, etc), board service ONLY counts for service at the National or International level.  It does NOT count for Chapter level service.  You are a local chapter officer, NOT a National/International Board member.

You CAN submit hours for that, but it will be Class B CPE as Chapter management.

I've been doing this for years as a Chapter Officer with my local ISSA Chapter.  I do it in conjunction with our chapter meetings.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
emb021
Advocate I

@amandavanceISC2 wrote:

@Sparty38882 Thank you for your post. What that particular item means is if you are serving as a Board of Directors for a security organizations. For example, our Chairperson can submit CPEs for holding that title as the Chairperson of ISC2. 

The item you are looking for is listed under the Education tab and then Professional information security chapter meeting.

Best Regards, 

Amanda Vance

Nope.

This is for ATTENDING a professional meeting.

He is asking about getting credit for being a chapter officer for that professional association, which is different.  That is a Class B CPE, known as Chapter Management.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
amandavanceISC2

@emb021 I apologize, you are correct.

Best Regards, 

Amanda

emb021
Advocate I

@amandavanceISC2 wrote:

@emb021 I apologize, you are correct.

Best Regards, 

Amanda

Nothing to apologize for.  It's an easy mistake.  I just want to be sure people are clear on this, as getting credit for being a chapter officer can be a little confusing.

Later!

---