Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UnitedAliens
Newcomer I

CISSP CAT Notification,..Need ISC2 help !!!

Hi,

This is regarding my recent exam day experience, it was december 23rd 2017 i decided to take the exam and it was booked almost 6 months ago, i have no idea of 3 hour CAT based test and i never received any notifications from ISC2 or Pearson Vue about the change, i have taken the print out of exam registration the day before the exam from pearson and that doesn't show CAT or exam duration as 180 mins. I just want to bring it to the notice of ISC2 that the change must be well notified to all the test takers who have registered the exam way ahead because there is lot of difference between the CAT and Linear Fixed-Form, i was stunned to see the change when i was sitting on the exam chair at Pearson and i have no way to reschedule because it was saturday and Pearson Customer Service was not available to help, i ended up taking the exam and failed, i  prepared for this exam for months balancing both work and family and i was very confident on passing, i seriously cannot digest the fail just because i haven't prepared for a CAT based test and i have no knowledge of these kind of tests before, i'm sincerely requesting ISC2 to resolve this issue by issuing a exam voucher so that i can get a second shot at this exam.

Regards

Ravi

Contact Number/ Certification Number: 410292

9 Replies
fortean
Contributor III

Hello, Ravi,

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that you did not pass, especially not if you feel that this was due to the change in the exam format. However, what I've read and heard about the new exam format is that, at least according to (ISC)², it should not make your exam easier or harder than then older linear format, merely shorten the exam.

As you are probably one of the first people to sit the "new" exam,  I am very curious about the experience you had: why is it that you feel that you would have passed when taking the older 6 hour format - and more specific: have you ever sat the older CISSP exam, so, can you compare the two?

--
Heinrich W. Klöpping, MSc CISSP CCSP CIPP/E CTT+
Lamont29
Community Champion

Despite what the analysis of the CAT and linear 6hr format are supposed to be equal, I have nominally done better when given the CAT format. I am really looking forward to the new format. In long drawn out testing, I tend to run alooth mentally. CAT should help me.
Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE
Lamont29
Community Champion

You might have allowed the CAT format to bother you more than it should have. I f you were prepared for the linear exam, then you certainly should have passed the CAT version. Anxiety may have gotten the best of you.
Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE
UnitedAliens
Newcomer I

Hi Heinrich,

Thanks for your comments,
To answer your question , this is my first sitting for this exam and i have prepared enough which is close to an year/2 - 3 hours a day and i have gone through 5 to 6 practice tests last month where i have scored ranging from 80 % - 93 % on all the tests, and coming to my work experience i have more than 5 years experience in 4 domains.
I didn't say that i had failed due to the exam being CAT format other than linear exam, my concern is, if i had known that the exam was CAT based in advance my preparation and mind set would have been different, BTW there is a lot of difference between linear exam and CAT for example in CAT based there is no going back after you have submitted an answer and there is a time constraint adding up while reading and understanding few questions, whereas in linear exam i can mark it for review and come back at a later point and answer it as i have plenty of time to review.

Anyways all i want to tell ISC2 and the community that this is not a way to test this exam, because some people are fast at reading and analyzing quickly and some take time to read and digest and come with an answer, are we testing the test takers experience and knowledge on the domains or fastness in answering because all through the exam i was worried about the clock time running out.

Ravi
UnitedAliens
Newcomer I

Hi Lamont,

Thanks for your comments, please see my comments in my previous reply to Heinrich, i don't doubt my preparation because i have done more than what is required for this test and on my way to this exam preparation from last one year i have taken few top certifications like Security+ , CCNP and CEH which i had passed with ease.

Regards
Ravi
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Here's my take(I've not sat the CAT test but understand the principles).

While I've only sat Security+ in 2004, the big difference I think with the Security+, CEH and CCNP is that they are all more about getting the definite correct answers(what is X, how would you do Y etc), the CISSP is more slippery in that often there are perhaps three viable answers and it's asking you to digest the info and select the most correct/least wrong answer. Thinking vs doing. The CAT format adds a dimension of urgency perhaps and it means getting the basics right is very important, but you can offset that against the previous six hour cognitive endurance test. It also has to be noted(IMHO) that the CISSP is easier on native English speakers, reading comprehension and diligent parsing is essential).  

However the exams are prepared is a very structured way, and it is a metric, so I'd counter your last statement by saying the only objective measure of the experience, knowledge, preparation and dare I say it composure on the day(watch the movie 'Cool Hand Luke' or similar the night before) - is whether or not it's passed. I realize this is not comforting, but it is meant to be a good test of the candidate and it will tell you where you have more work to do based on the questions you answered. So best of luck with the next one, and when you pass it is at least good in that it's an exam that is failed regularly because it is a true test. 

amandavanceISC2

@UnitedAliens  Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear about your recent test. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the CAT formatting. Please email me directly with any questions.

Best Regards,
Amanda Vance

avance@isc2.org

RobinW
Newcomer I

Perhaps it would help to calm your mind as you read the question.

Watching the clock tends to be bad for concentration.

Just focus on each question as they come.  Let your knowledge and preparation flow and get into the groove. Looking at the clock misdirects your focus, don't let the clock defeat you

Remember there is now a max of 150 questions and if you are doing well you will only have to answer 100 questions.

Bayshob
Contributor I

I feel the CAT version is actually better and easier to pass. It saves you time and energy. Just 100 to 150 questions within 3 hours. You will leave the exam center much stronger