Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bruss9313
Viewer

CERTIFICATION

I have been working in the healthcare industry for 7 years, but as a Service Desk Analyst. We were a fiscal agent for Medicaid. We had to be HIPPA compliant and follow rules when dealing with PHI and PII. Encryption a played a role in my daily tasks. I want to take the certification exam for HCISSP. Do I need to compete the 2 year work in the field. I currently work at a Children's Hospital.
5 Replies
June
Viewer

What part of your job revolved around security?

You need a minimum of two years of cumulative, paid, full-time work experience in one or more knowledge areas of the HCISPP Common Body of Knowledge (CBK).

Bruss9313
Viewer

I work on the Service Desk at a Children's Hospital. Prior to that I worked as a contractor of the State of Delaware Social Services.

Dealing with PHI and HIPPA

emb021
Advocate I

Ok.

Take a look at the domains for HCISPP.

Do you feel the work you do falls into any of those domains, and that you've don't that for at least 2 years?

Then you'd good.

Also, its HIPAA.  Its important to spell it right.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
CraginS
Defender I

@Bruss9313 wrote:

I work on the Service Desk at a Children's Hospital. Prior to that I worked as a contractor of the State of Delaware Social Services.

Dealing with PHI and HIPPA

Bernadette,

"Dealing with PHI and HIPPA [sic]" may mean simply being aware of and following policies and procedures for protecting sensitive information in the system. That level is not likely to qualify as experience in the  HCISSP CBK domains, especially if you were on a Tier 1 service desk. You will have to evaluate your actual experience and relate it to the CBK domains. If you were operating at Tier 2 or Tier 3 in the service desk hierarchy you may be able to demonstrate requisite experience. 

Aspiring for the HCISSP is an excellent goal as you continue to work on health care systems. You do not have to have the experience required for certification already under your belt to prepare for and eventually take teh exam. You have Associate of (ISC)2 membership available even without that experience.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
denbesten
Community Champion

Part of the trick (as you initially implied and others have called out) is that you need to self-assess if you current experience is relevant (i.e. ties directly back to the domains).  If the "Ultimate Guide" is insufficient, I suggest using Amazon's "look inside" feature to read the introductions for the various HCISSP texts.

If you know a current HCISSP personally or professionally, you might consider running a preliminarily endorsement application by them to see if they would consider sponsoring you. 

As @CraginS suggests, the Associate program might help.  However given its limitation of N+1 years to earn N-years experience, your mileage may vary.