cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wayne_Evans
Newcomer III

CCSP - HaaS Models

Hi,

I'm and studying the CCSP material at the moment.  I am reviewing the current models such as IaaS, PaaS SaaS.

Where would outlaying "as a service"  models fit in?  For example, Hardware as a Service fit within these models, or is it just not included in the material?

I was wondering what the ISCx2 opinion is on this, would hardware as a service actually be encapsulated in PaaS and IaaS? I thought it was an interesting topic (something to kick off my forum posting) and I would ask what ISCx2 and other professionals viewpoints were on this topic.  

Thanks,

Wayne

10 Replies
mamane
Newcomer II

Hi Wayne

Does the HaaS means that the customer will provide hosting of the hardware, network services, power, hvac and supply to all needs to operate the HaaS?

• If yes, then it is renting of equipement! Where is the interest of HaaS if you need to provide many of the caracteristics of Cloud computing (On-demand self-service, Broad network services, Ressouce pooling, Rapid elasticity and measured service) ?
  • If no, it is IaaS!

Any thought?

Mamane

CISSP, CISA, CRISC, ISO27K LA, CMQ/OE, PMP
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

I have also seen it called "bare metal", whereby due to stringent federal security requirements, the entire environment is in fact "IaaS" but then the client is responsible for the platform, software etc.

If it is "HaaS", why wouldn't they own their Data Centre, given the requirements to meet this criteria?

Although https://www.techopedia.com/definition/13965/hardware-as-a-service-haas

Describes it where the client does not want to own the hardware themselves and IP addresses etc.

Sounds like a derivative of "IaaS". 

mamane
Newcomer II

Hi

It really sounds like IaaS!! Perhaps some variation of services will arise in the near future!

Mamane

Wayne_Evans
Newcomer III

mamane,

Thanks for taking the time to post. I think you git the nail on the head, so to speak. It really does sound like a subset of IaaS. The linked definition above, by the other caute, seems to be what my thinking around HaaS was. 

HaaS seems to be more of a procurement model, so shifts the dynamics of responsibilities to the service provider.  Maybe as you mentioned, in future a paragraph or something like this will appear in the material at some point. But could there not be an argument that its marketing speak, for managed hosting and low level (barebone as you say) IaaS?

Kind Regards,
Wayne

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Where I've heard it sounds to me more towards a rental company that delivers servers and endpoints where you need them, rather than a cloud technology.

I don't think it automatically has to be hosted or even has virtualization.

Rapid elasticity seems kind of out as well with this model whereas IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS should in theory all handle your scaling needs.

There's probably some tax advantage as well vs buying HW as if you rent the stuff you don't really have to wait for t to depreciate.

JoePete
Advocate I

I believe the (ISC)2's study material is fairly insistent that there are really only three service categories (IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS). Anything else is just a form of these branded a particular way for marketing. The importance of the distinctions and getting everything into one of three buckets is that it really delineates responsibilities between service provider and consumer. 

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Yes, that goes to the NIST cloud service models - no amount of fancy marketing of HaaS will change that or I think make into cloud computing(HaaS vendors seem to bring you rental boxes on demand), but if it’s close to one it’s IaaS but in HaaS you probably run the infra, handle security etc.

mamane
Newcomer II

Wayne,

JoePete made the point in his post!

Mamane

Wayne_Evans
Newcomer III

Mamane yes that is a very concise answer.  HaaS doesn't appear in the NIST definition of cloud computing (800-145) either so case and point.  Thanks JoePete