Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stpn2me
Newcomer III

Are they going to issue a new CCSP study guide with the test change for Aug?

I was wondering with the test changing on Aug 1st, are the changes drastic enough to warrant new study material?

15 Replies
AppDefects
Community Champion

@Stpn2me wrote:

I was wondering with the test changing on Aug 1st, are the changes drastic enough to warrant new study material?

I asked about material changes to the exam blueprint in this thread here and the answer was that there were none. Whether or not a book update is published depends upon the author Adam Gordon.

Stpn2me
Newcomer III

Thanks for your help. I'll just keep studying the guide I have then..

Kaity
Community Manager

Hello! We have some information on the changes on our website here: CCSP FAQ.

A new course will be out in October, but I'm not sure about the study guide book since that goes through the publisher. I will check with the education team to see if they have some information to share. 

Narsil
Newcomer III

@Kaity wrote:

Hello! We have some information on the changes on our website here: CCSP FAQ.

A new course will be out in October, but I'm not sure about the study guide book since that goes through the publisher. I will check with the education team to see if they have some information to share. 

That would be great to know, as I'm thinking of studying for the CCSP soon.

CraginS
Defender I

@Stpn2me wrote:

The problems (ISC)2 causes by not having a logically planned staging of new exam content, correlated study guide, followed by introduction of the new exam were the core topic last September of the thread

Release Order Wrong for Updated Exams

with important input form an expert on the process, Clement Dupuis @clementdupuis .

Sadly, it appears that the suggestions in that thread have fallen on deaf ears, and there has been no change in the haphazard introduction of new exams by (ISC)2.

@Kaity Kaity, I don't recall seeing you active in the Community last fall, so you may not have seen that thread. Please review that thread and pass it back to @david-shearer , the content teams and to the Board itself. This is something that David and all the Board should be focused on. 

While on this topic, I'd also point out that a closely related management issue is the loss of the Common Body of Knowledge as a detailed outline of the CBK topics and subtopics. We discussed that problem on the thread at

CISSP CBK - where to find updated CBK

A full CBK topic outline, with or without relevant reference documents, was essential to many of us older CISSPs in preparing for our exams. Trying to pretend that the published study guide is synonymous with the CBK is not logical.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
dcontesti
Community Champion

@CraginS wrote:

@Stpn2me wrote:

The problems (ISC)2 causes by not having a logically planned staging of new exam content, correlated study guide, followed by introduction of the new exam were the core topic last September of the thread

Release Order Wrong for Updated Exams

with important input form an expert on the process, Clement Dupuis @clementdupuis .

Sadly, it appears that the suggestions in that thread have fallen on deaf ears, and there has been no change in the haphazard introduction of new exams by (ISC)2.

@Kaity Kaity, I don't recall seeing you active in the Community last fall, so you may not have seen that thread. Please review that thread and pass it back to @david-shearer , the content teams and to the Board itself. This is something that David and all the Board should be focused on. 

While on this topic, I'd also point out that a closely related management issue is the loss of the Common Body of Knowledge as a detailed outline of the CBK topics and subtopics. We discussed that problem on the thread at

CISSP CBK - where to find updated CBK

A full CBK topic outline, with or without relevant reference documents, was essential to many of us older CISSPs in preparing for our exams. Trying to pretend that the published study guide is synonymous with the CBK is not logical.

From my point, I see the organization spending money on courses through the PDI but the problem of lagging updates to the Study material still persists.  It is an age old problem and one that has plagues the organization from the beginning when it was volunteer run.  When I took the exam (1996ish) there were no study guides or handbooks, there was a practice exam that you could purchase and very expensive training course from (ISC)2...this was before the other training came along.

The organization then starting developing study guides but unfortunately they lagged behind changes to the CBK, typically about six months so folks were disadvantaged.

When the domains went from ten to eight (CISSP exam), it was the same issue, and folks once again kept asking for information.

I am not sure how the material is being developed today, but in the past the changes were approved, ratified, etc. about six months prior to release....they used to rely on member volunteers to write the material.  I know that writing is difficult and sometimes can take a while maybe the organization needs to step back and look at how it approaches these materials....or changing the process for updating the exams DCO (Content Outlines)....

my nickel canadian

d

rslade
Influencer II

> Stpn2me (Newcomer III) posted a new topic in Member Support on 07-19-2019 09:39

> I was wondering with the test changing on Aug 1st, are the changes
> drastic enough to warrant new study material?

Short answer: no.

Longer answer:
Look, don't sweat the "do I have the absolute very latest CISSP study materials?"
trivia. The CISSP is intended to figure out if you know the fundamentals of
infosec. Yes, there are some questions that are straight factual bits, but those are
in the minority. I'm fairly certain that I could take some of the study materials
that I have buried under the piles in my office from twenty years ago and get a
candidate successfully through the exam.

====================== (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade@vcn.bc.ca slade@victoria.tc.ca rslade@computercrime.org
Harry shrugged, `How's everything going'
`Greger sleeps when he has to, eats what he has to and hardly
ever cries.' She smiled. `And for me that's everything now.
... [How are you?]' ...
`I'm paranoid,' Harry said. `I have the feeling I'm hunting
someone who it manipulating me, that everything is chaotic and he
is making me do exactly what he wants. Do you know the feeling?'
`Yes,' Beate said. `I call him Greger.'
- `The Snowman', Jo Nesbo
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://twitter.com/rslade
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
https://is.gd/RotlWB

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
Stpn2me
Newcomer III

I want to thank everyone for the replies. I'm going to just continue on my path for this cert. It's different than for other certs like the CAP, where you could map the study areas to the SDLC. I was just looking for something like that. I'll keep studying and make it happen!

Pat Hairston

CISSP, CAP

Narsil
Newcomer III

@rslade wrote:
Short answer: no.

Longer answer:
Look, don't sweat the "do I have the absolute very latest CISSP study materials?"
trivia. The CISSP is intended to figure out if you know the fundamentals of
infosec. Yes, there are some questions that are straight factual bits, but those are
in the minority. I'm fairly certain that I could take some of the study materials
that I have buried under the piles in my office from twenty years ago and get a
candidate successfully through the exam.

Fair point, however this thread is discussing the CCSP and its related materials, not the CISSP.