Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Will Deepfakes definitely make us question everything in 2020?

Have you seriously thought about Deepfakes, and asked yourself can you pick out the real from the fake?

Can we educate ourselves to question whether or not what we are reading is actually the truth?

https://securityintelligence.com/articles/how-deepfakes-will-make-us-question-everything-in-2020/

Regards

Caute_cautim

3 Replies
Beads
Advocate I

Have I thought about 'deepfakes'? Yes, yes I have and have come to the conclusion that nothing good can come of it.

As to damaging, tarnishing or otherwise mudracking another's image or reputation for the negative the immediate impacts will be damning in the short term but as these fakes become widely available, if not pedestrian in nature will also become cover for any and all bad behavior possible.

Deepfakes will give unnecessary cover to all sorts of questionable to outright illegal behavior as the victim will either declare it to be a fake or simply 'someone' is out to get them with absolute, technological, probable deniability.

Basically, we all loose two fold. Nothing can be believed and any evidence brought to light can and maybe easily dismissed without better forensic tools brought to bear. Not everyone will have the resources to bring to bear and will subsequently loose in the court of opinion.

I find the above to be a very sad commentary on the technology.

- b/eads

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@Beads   I agree, it will only become worst: 

Biased AI Is Another Sign We Need to Solve the Cybersecurity Diversity Problem
Artificial intelligence (AI) excels at finding patterns like unusual human behavior or abnormal incidents. It can also reflect human flaws and inconsistencies, including 180 known types of bias. Biased AI is everywhere, and like humans, it can discriminate against gender, race, age, disability and ideology. AI bias has enormous potential to negatively affect women, minorities, the disabled, the elderly and other groups. Computer vision has more issues with false-positive facial identification for women and people of color, according to research by MIT and Stanford University. A recent ACLU experiment discovered that nearly 17 percent of professional athlete photos were falsely matched to mugshots in an arrest database.
https://securityintelligence.com/articles/biased-ai-is-another-sign-we-need-to-solve-the-cybersecuri...

So where do we go from here?

Regards

Caute_cautim

MikeGlassman
Contributor II

So what exactly is new here ? Deepfakes have been around for years. It is not in my opinion anything new, it's just more prevalent, mainly in the publicizing of it in government issues, where everyone claims news of some type is fake news. It's a great way of pulling blinders over the public's eyes, and what saddens me, is how well it works. I'm no more worried about it now then I was in the past. I don't go out digging for it, nor do my teams, but we do double check information, and we always have. I am paranoid as it is, I don't need someone to try and tell me to be more paranoid.
Sincerely,

Mike Glassman, CISSP
Iguana man