Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rslade
Influencer II

Who are you going to believe, me, or your own eyes?

"How many of us today would rather be outraged than informed?"

I haven't seen it, but there is a video doing the rounds about a guy stealing a baseball from a little kid, after the little kid bobbled a catch of a foul ball.  It's "gone viral" by being retweeted, etc, by lots of people.

"Tweets and other social media posts began a barrage about the man who filched a foul ball from a little boy. There could be no doubt. We saw it."

Except that wasn't the whole story.

"What the Cubs discovered from people nearby was that the man in question wound up with four balls during the game, and gave three to children, including the young man who had appeared to be swindled. He also gave one to his wife; it was their anniversary."

Time to again mention the Pro-Truth Pledge?

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
2 Replies
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Examples of Integrity. Integrity means following your moral or ethical convictions and doing the right thing in all circumstances, even if no one is watching you. Having integrity means you are true to yourself and would do nothing that demeans or dishonors you. This obviously does not count in all circumstances.

Caute_cautim
CISOScott
Community Champion

Ah yes the whole take something out of context and present it as the only fact. I saw that clip and not knowing the full context that you provided made the same assumptions, so shame on me. I also think it points out that the media loves to twist an angle for a "feel good" story. A man steals a ball from a little boy (BOOOOOO!) and then the boy gets rewarded with one from the team (YAY! Awwww.) I think a lot of us fall prey to this.

I remember years ago there was a lawsuit from a woman who got very hot coffee spilled on her at McDonalds. She was awarded millions of dollars in the lawsuit and I remember hearing lots of people saying derogatory things towards her like "Duh! Everyone knows the coffee is hot and she should have been more careful." and many more that are not fit to print or repeat. Later on I found out why she was awarded the millions of dollars. It wasn't that the coffee was hot but it was unnecessarily hotter than it needed to be. McDonalds had an engineer do some research and found out that if they increased the temperature of the coffee that the human taste buds could not tell the difference if they used 3 cups of coffee beans per pot (the normal) or 2 cups of coffee beans per pot (the suggested solution). So they were able to save millions by making their coffee hotter than in needed to be in order to fool the customers taste buds. So in an effort to save money they were putting their customers at risk of burns by increasing the temperature to an unnecessary level. That is why she got the millions, it was to punish McDonalds for putting their customers at risk, not to reward her incompetence of spilling coffee on herself. They awarded her the amount that McDonalds saved since implementing the new procedure.

It pays to get all the facts before making your decision.