Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rslade
Influencer II

Uber (and ride-sharing/hailing in general)

Why is it that some people are so set on promoting Uber? It's dangerously unregulated, unreliable, sometimes unsafe, occasionally embarrassing or worse, degrades both the taxi industry and public transit, and the company is run by jerks who have demonstrated disregard for employees and some foul social attitudes.

And, it now seems, it increases traffic, accidents, and even deaths ...

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
4 Replies
Flyslinger2
Community Champion

I use Uber/Lyft for several reasons:

1. It's not a taxi.  That industry is so fraught with corruption especially here in the DC area.  

2. It's not mass transit. Again, here in the DC area you are forced to ride in filth because of what other passengers fail to do-clean up after themselves and respect property.

3. Every U/L vehicle I've been in the vehicle owner takes pride in their car.  They are clean and well maintained.

4. Every U/L driver I've encountered has been most professional to the point of exchanging email addresses in case I ever want to use them in the future.Not so with taxi drivers.

5. Unlike taxi's and mass transit U/L drivers are very timely in the scheduled arrival.  

6. The tech that supports U/L is much better then taxi/mass transit.

CISOScott
Community Champion

The thing I had to get used to in the Washington DC area was "slug" lines. You show up at a designated spot and someone picks up you and several other passengers and gets to use the HOV lanes (special travel lanes with less traffic on them and higher speeds). There is no tracking like Uber or Lyft. Just stand in line and someone will pick you up and take you close to where you want to go.

danyo
Newcomer II

Couple of simple reasons for me (Los Angeles)

1. Prevent drunk driving

2. Saves time, money, and easy airport drop-off/pick-up locations

3. I went from owning 3 cars to sharing 1 with my wife after we moved close to her work and I became full-time work at home. Uber makes it easy for us to have 1 car.

Edit to my post: I do not promote Uber specifically. I use Lyft and other ride share services as well. I wish everyone in business was doing right by customers but the term business is mostly associated with making a dollar.

Flyslinger2
Community Champion

@CISOScott wrote:

The thing I had to get used to in the Washington DC area was "slug" lines. You show up at a designated spot and someone picks up you and several other passengers and gets to use the HOV lanes (special travel lanes with less traffic on them and higher speeds). There is no tracking like Uber or Lyft. Just stand in line and someone will pick you up and take you close to where you want to go.

My buddy slugs to FAA everyday from Springfield.  He has been doing it for years.

There is a website and APP just for slugging!  Imagine that.