cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

The great resignation in 2022?

Hi All

Some interesting statistics from USA, about 7 out of 10 employees quitting their jobs due to a variety of reasons.

https://www.securitymagazine.com/articles/96454-7-out-of-10-it-employees-may-quit-their-jobs

What are your thoughts?  Are you thinking along the same lines?

Regards

Caute_Cautim

9 Replies
cindelicato
Contributor I

I am thinking of finding a new position but not for the reasons cited in the article. I worked in 2020 in what became a toxic environment and took a new position late that same year. My current position has a lot of potential, but it is not a great fit for me. So I have revised my resume and am open to the possibility of a better fit.
DHerrmann
Contributor II

I'm not planning on it, but many I know have quit their jobs at good companies.   Some aren't working at all (I have no idea how - health insurance in the USA is amazingly expensive!)

csjohnng
Community Champion

1) 2022 still too many uncertainties

2) Can't disclose because too many eyes and ears here, need to keep secret .. lol

all I can say is I had 3 jobs in 2021.

John
AppDefects
Community Champion

Hopefully the net effect of the Great Resignation will be to close the gap in cybersecurity salaries for many people that have been overworked and under paid for one reason or another. For those that are burned out I sympathize with you. Take care of yourself and your family first. Then come back and demand what you need from your next employer. Skilled cybersecurity professionals are in high demand and you can write your own ticket.

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@AppDefectsAbsolutely agreed, the recruitment drives has gone through the roof recently.   Move country and come with us etc.  I agree demand is outstripping resources.

Plus a great message on your own health and mental wellness given 2020-2021 and beyond.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

denbesten
Community Champion

The annoying part to me is the implied message of valuing new employees more than existing.  If one offers a "sign-on" bonus, they really ought to simultaneously offer a "retention bonus" with the same terms and conditions.  

AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Great discussion! Your discussion got me thinking - how can everyone here on Community help each other out in 2022? I've prompted a discussion over in the Career Discussion board: https://community.isc2.org/t5/Career-Discussions/What-are-YOUR-Career-Goals-for-2022/m-p/48882#M3386 

ISC2 Community Manager
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@AndreaMoore 

Can I make suggestion, perhaps coaching and mentoring to develop others careers and provide guidance or a means to be an ally, which would be good for mental health, especially when you really need to speak to someone who understands the profession etc.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

RRoach
Contributor I

Outside of the obvious career reasons (which hasn't changed in decades), what has happened is more remote work brought on by COVID.  Another couple possibilities are retirement (more people retiring), career/industry change (better opportunity), family members living together (medical support, housing relocation), seasonal workforce, and business closure. So I am doubtful of "great resignation" but makes for good news entertainment. I personally think employment has been in a gradual decline with fewer higher paying opportunities.  

Reasons to quit/leave for better opportunity: labor rate (competition/fair market rate), location (cost of living), telework,
reduced commute (quality of life), less travel (quality of life), more options for
leave/time off (quality of life), less out of pocket costs for medical/dental benefits
(quality of life), valued family (quality of life), costs of child care (quality of life), education benefits/training/experience
(career advancement), promotion (career advancement), less overtime,
better company/client culture (quality of life). So it depends on where the employee
is at in life and career and if there is better options elsewhere.