Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

The Internet Enabled Mass Surveillance. A.I. Will Enable Mass Spying.

Hi All. A very good thought provoking piece from Bruce Schneider, about how AI enables mass surveillance.

"Spying is limited by the need for human labor.

A.I. is about to change that. Summarization is something  a modern generative A.I. system does well. Give it an hour long meeting, and it will return a one-page summary of what was said. Ask it to search through millions of conversations and organize them by topic, and it’ll do that. Want to know who is talking about what? It’ll tell you."

https://slate.com/technology/2023/12/ai-mass-spying-internet-surveillance.html

Regards

Caute_Cautim

5 Replies
George_Falias
Newcomer I

I think it's something we all knew it's going to happen, sooner or later.

Still, some refuse it is happening.

As it was mentioned in a webinar recently, generative AI is like a double-edged sword, a curse and a blessing. 

With AI people have so much power in their hands, let's hope they can control it...

And, of course, use it appropriately.

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@George_Falias   Yes, I agree, its how we handle it appropriately rather the case of Wi-Fi Bins in a London Borough, it all looks great until one understands the implications of those decisions, and how the information is being misused or not as intended.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

ericgeater
Community Champion

[They] can't, and [they] won't.

Think about how many companies get breached every week, and how often that data gets dumped to public repositories.  This depends, of course, on what PII data is breached and exposed, and any bad actor's ability to correlate that data with other found information, It won't be too long before a person may perpetually benefit from several orgs and their requisite provision of three years' credit monitoring,, thanks to the dog-awful job they're doing of protecting consumer information.

I now live like my PII is already exposed, which encourages me to carefully ensure that the things which require protecting are protected.  You already know my SSN?  Good, because my CRAs are frozen.  You found my Facebook password?  Awesome!  It's unique to Facebook.  You learned my dog's name when I was ten?  Cool.  But did I spell my dog's name using Cyrillic characters or the Greek alphabet when answering the secret questions?

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.
denbesten
Community Champion

@ericgeater wrote:

You learned my dog's name when I was ten?  Cool.  But ...

my bank believes the dog was named correct-horse-battery-staple.

ericgeater
Community Champion

"correct-horse-battery-staple"

Nope!  Wrong!  But I sure do miss solarwinds123.  He was a good boy.

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.