Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HTCPCP-TEA
Contributor I

Social Media, the soft target???....

Once again, Social media could be at the heart of data leakage for the masses:

https://thehackernews.com/2018/10/tumblr-account-hacking.html

Tumblr (a somewhat unknown platform for me) seems to have patched a flaw that might have lost thousands if not millions of accounts. They claim no abuse has been reported by outside forces, that can be proven at this time.

It follows on from Facebook's worst ever breach, (Not only, I might add), whereby some 30 Million users have potentially had their accounts compromised.

Just over a week ago, Google+ also revealed a huge flaw that meant it was shut down as servive, following the compromise of "hundreds of thousands" of Google Plus users.

Late last month, Twitter announced an API error that exposed over 3 million private messages to 3rd party developers.

I can't help but wonder,  how is this happening on some of the most profitable and well used platforms out there? One could understand, to some extent, if there were nation state teams of hackers taking pot shots, but leaking via API's is just bad development!

I would hope that these companies would quickly bring security to the fore, or else see the GDPR hit them hard.

Either way, social media is fast becoming the soft target for data leaks and security concerns, more so than it previously was.

0 Replies